Spraying Rustoleum / Tremclad on Fiberglass Top Cap - Couple of questions

monnewbie3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Everyone,
I'm looking at painting my topcap with Rustoleum or Tremclad up here in Canada, and I just had a couple of questions before doing so.

The formula I found for spraying was about a 30%-35% Thinner (Acetone), and about 6.5% Enamel Hardener.

Questions:

1. Will Adding this much Thinner Dull The paint gloss? If so I'll Get full Gloss instead of Semi Gloss

2. How Long before the Next coat?
I've seen people say:
2a: Wait until dried then knock it down with 400 Grit wet sand then apply next coat.
2b: Wait until "Tacky" then apply next coat (About 45 minutes), then knock it down with a good wet sand when painting is complete and has dried.

3. How Many Coats?

4. Will a HVLP with a 0.8mm Nozzle Suffice?

Thanks in advance,

-M

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This is how I recommend doing it.Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

monnewbie3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the reply woodonglass! That's a nice in depth Post.
Unfortunately I already have all the supplies to paint the boat, and would like to try and work with what I got :)

Cheers

jbcurt00

Staff member
The rusto trim clad is essentially no different then the tractor paint in WOGs link.

Seems only supply missing from your list vs his is Mineral Spirits.

Using his ratios you should get a great, high gloss, hard, scratch resistant finish.

Not sure where you got the other info/ratios but his work.

monnewbie3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Perfect thanks for reply.

Seems the Ratios in WOGs link is about 19%(Acetone + Reducer) 6.5% hardener (for the spray mehtod).

Will More acetone work in place of Mineral Spirits (I have a ton of left over Acetone from my build)? I assume acetone has a quicker evaporation rate and is a little "hotter" then Mineral spirits. But if mineral Spirits is a MUST then I'll go pick up a can.

Thanks again,

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My only concern is the .8mm tip on your spray gun. That is on the small opening size. Usually folks use a 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4mm tip size for base colors coats. You may have to really thin the paint to get it to spray properly and that could mean weak color saturation and many more coats to get typical coverage. If you could fine a 1.3, or 1.4mm tip gun, you could spray a little thicker color coat and not need as many. Also, is the gun a HVLP spray gun. They work the best with the least amount of overspray. Meaning you get more even coverage with less overspray and wasted paint... JMHO!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Totally agree about the tip size. .8mm is usually found on touch up guns and not on base coat guns. Acetone does make it flash quicker and is used for milder temps i.e. 70? - 80? If the temps are in the 90's then MS is for sure the way to go or even Naptha due to the reduced flash time. Since you're in Canada your temps may be a bit lower so increasing the Acetone might be ok. I'm not sure soooo you might experiment a bit and see how it goes. The Thinning of the paint can be a tricky thing and cause all kinds of weirdness to happen.

Last edited:

monnewbie3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thats what I wanted to hear, because I didn't know if 0.8mm would be enough.
It is a HVLP, but if 0.8 is not enough I could go pick up a 1.8mm, I believe my local shop has one.
My other option is a 1.8mm Siphon Gun, at 1/2 the cost.

Which would get r done?

Thanks,

monnewbie3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Totally agree about the tip size. .8mm is usually found on touch up guns and not on base coat guns. Acetone does make it flash quicker and is used for milder temps i.e. 70? - 80? If the temps are in the 90's then MS is for sure the way to go or even Naptha due to the reduced flash time. Since you're in Canada your temps may be a bit lower so increasing the Acetone might be ok. I'm not sure soooo you might experiment a bit and see how it goes. The Thinning of the paint can be a tricky thing and cause all kinds of weirdness to happen.

Right now our summer temps are sitting around 75-80?, but if it heats up even more I should pick up some MS due to the slow flash rates.
Thanks a lot for that information, helps clear things up.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
1.8 is usually reserved for shooting primer since primer has a lot more solids in the paint. As Gm 280 stated a 1.2,3 or4 tip is best for shooting the Base Color coat. HVLP or Siphon is your choice'

monnewbie3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
just went out and picked up a HVLP 1.4mm, thanks a lot.

So I should shoot and wait 4 hours and do a soft knock down with 400 grit wet sand.

Also last thing, will adding MS and Acetone dull the paint? Just trying to decide if I should go Semi Gloss or full gloss.

Thanks,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you use the hardener, it will be very shiny and Glossy. Don't forget if you use the hardener to stir every 10 mins and let it "Cook" for 30 mins before the first coat., and it's only Good for 8 hours so only mix enuf for 2 coats. Boats, IMHO, are supposed to be High Gloss and shiny. People spend lots of time and Money trying to keep em that way. Don't know why anyone would want Semi-Gloss on a boat. You always want to sand between coats to give the next one something to "Bite" in to. I'd use 320 not 400.

monnewbie3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you use the hardener, it will be very shiny and Glossy. Don't forget if you use the hardener to stir every 10 mins and let it "Cook" for 30 mins before the first coat., and it's only Good for 8 hours so only mix enuf for 2 coats. Boats, IMHO, are supposed to be High Gloss and shiny. People spend lots of time and Money trying to keep em that way. Don't know why anyone would want Semi-Gloss on a boat. You always want to sand between coats to give the next one something to "Bite" in to. I'd use 320 not 400.
Perfect Advice, thank you very much, time to use some Rust paint on this old girl.
O'No'U'did-nt

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Perfect Advice, thank you very much, time to use some Rust paint on this old girl.
O'No'U'did-nt

Great to hear you got a 1.4mm HVLP gun. You made a great choice. One word of interest, when you shoot the first coat, don't try to cover everything totally. If you do, expect runs. Allow the coverage to build up on its own. It is way better to shoot multiple coats to cover everything then one thick running coat. And when you do shoot the first coat, check it to see in a inconspicuous area if you can sand without peeling the paint before doing the entire hull with sanding. I use PPG paints and their paints come with instruction sheets telling me the proper between coat times and mixing procedures and such about weather and time. So I know when it is time to do the second and third coats if necessary. But I have never shot Rustoleum finishes and therefore have zero idea to what your typical wait time between coats should be. WOG can fill you in with those figures...he is the forum expert on such! Make sure you post pictures. We love pictures on here... :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The link has all the info on how to prep and shoot the Rustoleum Paint. The tractor paint is the same as Rustoleum or any other Acrylic Enamel Paint with the added Hardener.

monnewbie3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Finally finished painting from above the hull.

Turned out pretty good. I used about a half gallon of tremclad, 3 coats.

Paint Gun: HVLP gun with a 1.4mm Tip.
Mixture was: 25% reduction with Acetone (was chilly up here), and 6% of enamel Hardener. (1C Tremclad, 1/4C reducer, 1Tablespoon hardener).

Attachments

• photo225402.jpg
    photo225402.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo225403.jpg
    photo225403.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 2