Sporadic Power trim

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all! How has everyone been.. Hotrods having a little issue with the 1993 EV115's Power Trim.

3rd year on the "iboats-rebuild:) and all is still great... But the Power trim. It has come to the point that it works only when it wants to.. Since day one it was touchy but never really a problem.. I have a switch on the shifter and the engine, I do hear the click from the P.T relay box. ... Sometimes she will chatter then start moving... removed all wires and cleaned.. no help. sat on the dock today for 45 minutes clicking and clicking and clicking.. try to get her out of the water.. most of the time a good tap on the Box will get here going.. well it took about 30 clicks and 30 taps today,, then she went up and down like a charm.. Not sure if the tapping on the box is really doing anything sometimes it's just lots of clicking the switch.

Question is?.... Would it be safe to say replacing the relay box would correct it from what you have heard.

Humm... If I Jump the proper wires in the box and she moved.. that proves the box is bad right?.. Can I do that?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sporadic Power trim

I would jump directly to the T & T motor. If it still does it, the motor is bad....

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's Kinda hard when she's in the water... As long as I find the right wires I should be OK ...Right? I'll look them up..

Any suggestions on where to buy a new box.. been looking around with no luck.. It didn't look like i could replace just the relays.. Im looking thru the manual and it's showing me how to test them.. but mine..lol don't look like that

D

DJ

removed all wires and cleaned..

Did you-REALLY?

Remove the negative battery ground cable from the engine block and clean it thoroughly.

People tend to overlook grounds in their electrical woes.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wires I was refering to were the one in the Trim tab box.. with the relays.. about 20 of them... Motor ground looked great.. but I should check that..
Im not near the boat now.. but in that Model, can I just replace the relays, or is it the whole box i may need?

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW.. that was easy.. rebuilt the entire Motor 2 years ago and never realized the relays in the Trim Box.just popped out.. thought they were part of the box.... from my understanding these should be replaced every couple of years. Mine popped right out and It took me a whole 1 minute to replace them. PT works like a charm... And I was fighting it for 3 years :$

Blazrer01

Cadet

If you have to replace them again - go to the auto parts store, they are standard GM relays and cost 1/4 of OMC replacement parts...........

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea. My parts store didn't have the OMC ones.. 22$ but they hade after maket for 18$.. seemed a little high.

will do next time. Thanks