SPN 4236 FMI 1 troubleshoot

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2014 VP V8-380-C-D engine.

A sporadic issue I’ve had over the last couple seasons is now happening pretty regularly. Slight misfires felt and the engine light and audible alarm will sound, engine then goes into limp mode. Cutting power gets me out of limp mode.Code I get via my Easyconnect app is SPN 4236 FMI 1.

That code seems to correlate to Closed Loop Bank 1 Low from some Indmar docs online.

If the Indmar codes cross reference to VP codes, then it would seem I may have a failing primary O2 sensor?

Which is bank 1 on my engine?

Even though it is suggesting O2 sensor, I get some misfires when the engine is cold, too, but engine shouldn’t be in closed loop then, right?

I plan on a fresh set of plugs, too, though I only have about 100 hours on the current set.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
probably on the right track with the O2 sensor, no idea which is bank 1 or 2. maybe google search for answer?

i've only used diacom for volvo diag, can't comment on what you're using however one test that comes to mind is swapping the O2 sensors from one side to the other, see if fault reads different (bank 2)

+ 1 on new spark plugs

alldodge

Staff member
Info I have

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 10

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, yep, tried googling and no real answer, even my VP engine repair manual doesn’t define bank numbers.

Thought about swapping sensors left/right, but even if it follows the sensor, I still wouldn’t know which one was bad, lol.

I think I’ll disconnect one of the sensors and run the engine, that should throw an open circuit fault code, maybe.