Split in Stringer Cap - Dealer says cosmetic - what do you think?

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a picture of a split in the cap on my 2008 boat.

Dealer says it's cosmetic and nothing to worry about, just put sealant in it.

I'm not sure I'm buying that. What do you think?

StringerSplit.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Split in Stringer Cap - Dealer says cosmetic - what do you think?

That split may be due to moisture and the wood swelling up.

I'd investigate it further by drilling a couple of holes... better to know now than later.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What Boat? What Length? What kind of Use? What kind of PowerPlant? How long has the Crack been there?

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

are there any weep (drain) holes at the bottom of the stringer? Could be a moisture issue, could also be heavy gelcoat layup and has shrunk and cracked. You'll need to drill a couple small holes (no larger than 1/4"); one near the top, middle and bottom roughly half way through to know for sure. If shavings are tan and dry you're good to go (I would take a dremmel and open up the cracks a bit and re-fill with new gel). If there's moisture, well I guess we'll cross that bridge if it's an issue. Re-fill the drill holes with thickened epoxy when finished.

Good luck!

~BWT

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

What Boat? What Length? What kind of Use? What kind of PowerPlant? How long has the Crack been there?

It's a 2008 Doral Sunquest with a Volvo Gxi. Noticed the split this spring when de-winterizing but that doesn't mean it wasnt there earlier.

As BWT mentioned, the dealer said it was heavy gelcoat layup and it's only cosmetic. When I hit the stringer it sounds solid and the same all the way up.

Because it could still be a warranty item I want to be sure before I go back to the dealer and "discuss" further.

I will do some more investigating and report back.

Thanks all for the input.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even if it is because of heavy gel layup and is indeed "cosmetic", personally I would not simply smear some caulking over the cracks like the dealer suggested. The proper fix would be to open up the crack a bit and lay in some gelcoat.

Hope all goes well with the testing

~BWT

Friscoboater

Captain

That screw hole could have let water in and it froze, swelling it up. You will not know anything unless you drill a dole or two and see if you have moisture.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Whenever I look at that pic I get an uncontrolable urge to stick a slot screwdriver in that crack and twist to see if anything pops off.

Friscoboater

Captain

Whenever I look at that pic I get an uncontrolable urge to stick a slot screwdriver in that crack and twist to see if anything pops off.

Meeeeeee Tooooooo!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Another queston. Is this stringer attacthed to the Transom?

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Darn I thought manufacturers quit using wood after like year 2000..guess i have not been reading the right info. Sorry to see your problem...but I would definately have a look at it a little farther. them cracks look a little deeper then the gelcoat to me from the picture.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Darn I thought manufacturers quit using wood after like year 2000..guess i have not been reading the right info. Sorry to see your problem...but I would definately have a look at it a little farther. them cracks look a little deeper then the gelcoat to me from the picture.

Many quit using wood, but no where near all. And if you talk to some of the engineers, Ranger Boats for one....they would still rather be using wood. They only went to composites because of public demand. (gotta built what sells, you know) Wood is still the best boat building
materials around.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going after the dealer again this week as I'm now back from vacation.

I did tap the stringer along the length and it "sounds" solid all across but I'm going to stick a screw driver in the crack first to see how it feels and then possibly drill a small hole from the top.

Stay tuned.