speedometer/fishfinder install

bowtie

Cadet
I have a 1987 Wellcraft 19' bow rider 165HP merc inboard outboard. I want to install a Eagle Fishmark fishfinder. It is recomented by the manufacter that it is install outside on the right hand of the stern. The problem is there is the original speedometer pilot tube located there(which works fine). What I would like to do is move the pilot to the other side of the outboard (left)and install the Eagle on the right. I may need to purchase a new pilot tube with new teleflex tubing which I am assuming will work on the originall speedometer.<br /><br />Any suggestions or problems with this thinking

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: speedometer/fishfinder install

I would just leave the pitot where it is and mount the transducer on the other side if there is enough wire with the transducer.. That way you don't have to fill the holes left by the pitot and you won't have to run a new speedo tube... <br /><br />Just my opinion... :)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Bowtie<br />One thing you may want to do before installing is to install a mounting plate to mount transducer to first. This way when get a different unit later will not have to plug old holes in boat then drill new holes.<br /><br />I not sure if you have just a transducer or also have the paddle wheel speed sensor, but either way I would install right next to your speedometer pick up tube. I normally put the transducer between the pitot and the motor and never had one not work. Put it as close to pitot as you can and make sure it points straight down and the side closest to the outdrive (left side) that the center of transducer is even with the bottom of the hull. Also the back of the transducer should be down just a little bit. If you have a paddle wheel speed sensor put it to the other side of the pitot tube.<br /><br />On my boat transom to starbord of the outdrive I have the following and they all work perfect. First have 8 degree transducer, then Paddle wheel speed sensor, then Pitot tube, then 20 degree transducer and last 18 inch by 12 inch trim tab.<br />Port side has the Kicker motor and then 18 by 12 inch trim tab.

D

DJ

bowtie,<br /><br />Ditto Boatist on the mounting plate idea.<br /><br />I'd rather have two holes through my transom than six.