Speedometer 4MPH Off According To GPS

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Speedometer 4MPH Off According To GPS

I'm surprised the difference between running in hard water and soft water hasn't been discussed. We all know the boats run slower in hard water due to more hull resistance. Extensive studies in prop wash samples has proven this theory.

Mine's very slow on ice!

Seriously, take whichever reading is the higher, for bragging rights
:joyous:

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know it may not be the norm, but every once in awhile... ;)

speedoacc.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

And it matters if your boat is actually going 52 or 56 MPH becouse.................:lol:

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Bragging rights man! Having accurate numbers also helps getting things correctly setup.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

And it matters if your boat is actually going 52 or 56 MPH becouse.................:lol:

It doesn't, but, it's just good to know it's accurate for reasons only the owner cares about....... :)

littlerayray

Lieutenant

i dont care how fast im going. when your out for a cruise who cares your out to relax your not in a rat race so sit back relax and enjoy the scenery

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm the OP. It's interesting to see all the opinions about whether or not knowing your speed is important. I'm one those OCD types who wants to know every gauge is accurate. Too me it's part of the boating experience. To be informed on exactly how my boat is running. Be it speed, rpm's, oil pressure or temp. I'm just that way. Also, bragging rights is a plus. But, only if it's accurate. I'm honest too! BTW, my trim gauge doesn't work and it bugs the heck out of me:mad-new: Oh, did I mention that I don't want to get my iPhone out to check the speed I'm traveling? I don't fault anyone else for their opinion. Just stating why it's important to me :blabla::fencing:

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh, did I mention that I don't want to get my iPhone out to check the speed I'm traveling?:

That right there deserves a hearty Atta-Boy. Everyone I know with any kind of smart phone these days would rather stare and poke fingers at it than do pretty much anything else (like do their job at work, drive the car while driving, wash the dishes, feed the kids, converse with the spouse...)

dtescher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update! I was in the ocean(Long Beach Harbor,CA.) for my original post. Last time out I was in water that wasn't moving. Pitot was dead on accurate with GPS. Just an FYI. I've learned from all of the various posts that moving water will change the GPS reading(over land) in relation to the pitot(over water). Thanks for all the reply's.