spark plug condition

cubsfan02449

Cadet
Did a compression test on my 1988 Johnson 30 tiller electric start. When I had the spark plugs out they look to have an unusual wear pattern on them? see photo. I know i was running a little rich so far this season but hardly idle at all. Is this normal spark plug wear or cause for concern?

Compression test cold and warm was around 70 psi on both cylinders.

Attachments

• photo291296.jpg
    photo291296.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure on any of that but GO CUBS!!! They better pull their head out soon!!!!! Woooooo!!!

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks perfect to me . The ceramic insulator color is what you need to be concerned about . Yours appear to have that "toasted marshmallow" color that indicates the motor is running properly .

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
agree. Plug looks OK. Try another tester and see if you get a different compression reading.

cubsfan02449

Cadet
thanks guys. i was just concerned with the outer edge circle having soot on most of the circle and clean metal in that section. I will try another guage for compression. I am not able to check compression with carb throttle plate fully open. Starter switch will not work while in foward gear. But i thought i read its not necessary to have it wide open and hiving the throttle in closed position is fine?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yes. In neutral, closed throttle. Take both plugs out to make sure you get good rpm -- screw in type tester.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Throttle position just does not matter when doing a compression test on that 2 stroke motor !!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Come to think of it, just try the same tester again -- think you might have been making it too complicated. (remove both plugs whether cranking over manually or with the electric starter).