Spark only on one side of engine 1988 excel

MAKO72

Seaman
I am only getting spark on port side of engine. I checked with spark tester. The engine will idle so I cranked it and removed the three plug wires on starboard side and it made no difference as I pulled them and it kept idlieng (rough).

MAKO72

Seaman
Re: Spark only on one side of engine 1988 excel

Just tried switching wires that go to powerpacks and problem switched sides. Stator? Anything else that would cause this. Also disconnected main plug from controls and switched connectors to a-b.

MAKO72

Seaman

^ Anyone have ideas stator, timer base, switch box, computer any help please Thanks

MAKO72

Seaman

Could my problem be related to a sensor, alarm etc.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there is only one cdi, what wires are you switching and can ya post the engine model number ?

MAKO72

Seaman

Here are the numbers v6excellg 6k7 L 300750
There are two black wires with white stripe each one branches to three connectors that plug into power packs (they are marked 1,3,5 and 2,4,6)The 2,4,6 side had spark but the other leg is dead. Thanks for your help

MAKO72

Seaman

I just realized with kill switch clip removed I am not getting buzzer with key in the on position could this be related.

MAKO72

Seaman

Just tested stator ohms and got readings of 54 k on two wires and 2.2 on the other two. I dont have a dva meter

MAKO72

Seaman

Sorry did test wrong here are the right numbers.
stator:brown-red leads=1140 blk/red-blue=25
trigger=375 on all pairs
All the numbers seem to be in specs?
Not quite sure how to test CDI any help

MAKO72

Seaman

I just checked stator and triggers to ground. I unscrewed all wires from box and each one gave a reading of ol open. Out of curiosity I touched the red lead from tester to the individual screw holes and those did give readings that varied from 1 to 3.5 (Dont know if that means anything). Thanks for your help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

while I prefer DVA readings your resistance numbers are about dead on.
to test your horn turn the key on, dissconect the pink temp wire sensor and take the engine harness side to ground. if the horn sounds the horn and circuits are working, if not start checking.
retest your spark after removing the pink wire from the CDI.
then dissconnect the micro-processor and retest spark with the A and B connctors hooked together. it should not make a difference but it can.
used CDI's are avalible, Ray may have a few and so may I.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Double check your ground connections on the CDI and other electrics before replacing CDI. As Rodbolt says, I have plenty of good ones if that doesn't work. neudecray@hotmail.com if you need one.