Southern Maryland Tolman Jumbo Build [Splashed 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Hey SHSU! I have an old galvanized trailer to restore.

Man, if you didn't have enough with building the boat from the hull up. LOL By the time you start the trailer it will be easy compared to everything you have already done!!!!! Excited to see your plans and the splash.

Ned L

Commander
Very nice work. .... And bringing some PNW style to Maryland. She looks great.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Man, if you didn't have enough with building the boat from the hull up. LOL By the time you start the trailer it will be easy compared to everything you have already done!!!!! Excited to see your plans and the splash.

Lol... Isn't that why we have children? I have a 30 year old mechanic son that is going to love going through the axle bearings and brakes. That's his price to pay for fishing on the new boat. Ha ha.

Very nice work. .... And bringing some PNW style to Maryland. She looks great.

That's a huge compliment coming from you Ned. I've enjoyed your thread very much and love those old wood boats. There is an awesome history around this area with the Chesapeake deadrise and skiffs. We have a local marine museum at Solomon's Island that has some great history documented and displayed.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Holy Crap!! Cool Build, tagging along if you dont mind...

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I'm all in too. Being close to the MD area I'm interested in this build. Nice work thus far.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey CJ - Just checkin' in.

I remember you talking a while ago about building a Tolman. You went and did it! Almost anyway, just a few more months of finishing work. Good job!

cj8mule

Holy Crap!! Cool Build, tagging along if you dont mind...

Thanks Corjen1! You are welcome to tag along. I'm always open for suggestions too.

I'm all in too. Being close to the MD area I'm interested in this build. Nice work thus far.

Thanks Baylinerchuck. I'm in Huntingtown, MD. Pm me if you are ever in the area, you are welcome to come take a look..... There's always some sanding to be done. lol

Hey CJ - Just checkin' in.

I remember you talking a while ago about building a Tolman. You went and did it! Almost anyway, just a few more months of finishing work. Good job!

Thanks for stopping in GA! Lots of wiring and finish work to be done. I installed the steering wheel and helm seat today.... now I can sit down and make VRRMM sounds.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I installed the steering wheel and helm seat today.... now I can sit down and make VRRMM sounds.

A major milestone! :thumb:

VRRMM sounds that is. LOL

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Beautiful work/job. I'm down in St Leonard see you on the river.

cj8mule

Some pictures from the boat barn today:

The dash is going to be pretty simple and bare. 6 ea rocker switches and a couple of gauges. The Lowrance will be left of the steering wheel and the radar will be in-line. I need to come up with a way to label the switches... suggestions????

M63vvJO.jpg

Suspension seat for the pilot with storage underneath. Behind that is the battery box and the tackle station. The wiring came out pretty good... you can barely see the wire in the back corner of the pilot house.

SM9ENTb.jpg

The wire looks like romex house wire, but it is a tinned marine wire. This one is feeding the port navigation light.

RI6oY3l.jpg

The cuddy has a couple of led lights which is why it looks purple. The port side bench was made to store one of those 144 quart coolers underneath. There is a front board that comes out if you want to sit facing forward. I still need to make cushions for the bench which will be the best place on the boat for an afternoon nap. The cuddy will also get some cushions made.

cBLi51W.jpg

Navigation lights work!! The black dots will go away... that's just some extra graphite / epoxy mixture I used to smooth out the holes. The top holes are to take any water out of the anchor well. The bottom holes are for a painter line and will get a loop of rope.

qt1N7P7.jpg

Splash well is done. I used a pretty big access hatch and will let me service the 1100 gph sump pump and 55 gallon gas tank.

WQSAcNF.jpg

SHSU

Last edited:

cj8mule

My Dad fell in the basement and broke his hip Saturday. Poor fellow... he was supposed to help me install windows in the boat..... I think he was trying to get out of work. Ha ha.

Windows are all cut out and holes drilled. I'm ready to clean up and install with some clear silicone. The trailer is all done and ready to go!

SXCneVMl.jpg

qh9lgZMl.jpg

nhQoUHQl.jpg

The trailer bunks were left long on purpose... It's hard to tell exactly where the transom is going to rest. I'm hoping its only 12 or 18" past the last frame support.

SHSU

My Dad fell in the basement and broke his hip Saturday. Poor fellow... he was supposed to help me install windows in the boat..... I think he was trying to get out of work. Ha ha.

Windows are all cut out and holes drilled. I'm ready to clean up and install with some clear silicone. The trailer is all done and ready to go!

SXCneVMl.jpg

qh9lgZMl.jpg

nhQoUHQl.jpg

The trailer bunks were left long on purpose... It's hard to tell exactly where the transom is going to rest. I'm hoping its only 12 or 18" past the last frame support.

I still can't say enough how amazing your work looks!!!! Keep up the awesome work

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is exciting and moving really fast! I cant wait to see it in the water! Really nice work!

Frey

cj8mule

I still can't say enough how amazing your work looks!!!! Keep up the awesome work

Thanks SHSU!

Lookin real good there CJ! :thumb:

Thanks Watermann!

This is exciting and moving really fast! I cant wait to see it in the water! Really nice work!

Frey

Thanks Frey! She be splashed real soon.

Here's some pictures from this weekend:

KsjwWh9l.jpg

dWFskvTl.jpg

GGxgWe3l.jpg

sQ2xXwAl.jpg

She's on the trailer, but hanging off the back a little farther than I want. I'm going to have to weld on another frame section for support ::) I sure thought the trailer would be big enough. I still need to weld up some back side guides anyway. (and buy 3 more new wheels and tires)

Next up is finding a temporary main power 2 stroke for under 2 grand. Make some shelf rod holders, an aluminium rocket launcher, and the aluminium hand holds for walking the shelf to the anchor well. Oh, and I guess I should take care of the tax man...

Status
Not open for further replies.