Sore Back from rough water

dragos28

Seaman
Had an amazing time up in Bass Lake this weekend with the family!

113634d1378160533-crocs-socks-club-p1050047.jpg

I attempted to Wake board and Knee board.. but i couldnt get my fat butt up! LOL

anyhow, there were a lot of boats out and of course this and the wind got the water a bit choppy.
Well, after a whole day of riding the waves and hitting some hard ones, my back was really really sore... to the point that i had to take some Alleve...

On my boat, i had modified the seat pedestal to make it higher, so i can see further out, and i think its just perfect...

13+-+1

13+-+2

13+-+3

13+-+4

13+-+5

However, i'm thinking that i need to find a way to incorporate some sort of shock absorber on the pedestal.
I'd like to know if anyone has done anything similar or has any ideas...

the first thing that comes to mind is a semi truck air ride seat

let me know if you guys have any suggestions or have found a solution to dampen the seat from the boat's motion...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Sore Back from rough water

drive standing up. That's what we do on the coast. You can see better, too.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

couldn't you have just put the bow in the water and stop taking the waves amidship?

I think some just get to caught up with keeping the bow up, try to adjust trim down and put the bow in the water, let the bow do its job.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Springfield Wavemaster 16" Pedestal With Swivel Item # 714554Customer Rating:
0.0(No reviews)
Be the first to
Write a Review

Key Features

Innovative pneumatic dampening system

Absorbs shock in rough waters

Ideal for people with sensitive backs

Includes Trac-Lock swivel with locking handle

Our Price
$389.99

P_1220014-L-320x320.jpg

It's pricey, but cheaper than back surgery.:)

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

That and I'd have installed a bolster seat rather than raising up your pedestal. Then you could get back below the windshield when you need to.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Also keep in mind... if you are beating your back up you are also beating your boat up

dragos28

Seaman

I did that for a bit, but with the ziggin and zaggin it was still more comfy to sit down...

couldn't you have just put the bow in the water and stop taking the waves amidship?

I think some just get to caught up with keeping the bow up, try to adjust trim down and put the bow in the water, let the bow do its job.

I tried with the trim full down and with the trim about 1/4 way up... either way the waves were coming from all directions and i was still hitting them...

Also keep in mind... if you are beating your back up you are also beating your boat up

I kept my speed down when the waves were rough.. 15ish 25ish... only really opened it up when it was smoother... never really got past 35... my lil 4 banger 3.0 can't do much more than that... except when the water is like glass & i'm the only one, then i can get her up to 40...

dragos28

Seaman

Springfield Wavemaster 16" Pedestal With Swivel Item # 714554Customer Rating:
0.0(No reviews)
Be the first to
Write a Review

Key Features

Innovative pneumatic dampening system

Absorbs shock in rough waters

Ideal for people with sensitive backs

Includes Trac-Lock swivel with locking handle

Our Price
$389.99

P_1220014-L-320x320.jpg

It's pricey, but cheaper than back surgery.:)

That's exactly what i was looking for... now only if i can find that for a "REASONABLE" price.... wonder if there's anything similar that can be used in the same capacity....

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Option #1 = $389.99

Option #2 = Cost of Lumbar Fusion surgery , Surgeon = $5,500 and Hospital = $24,000

Under $400 seems REASONABLE to me......

dragos28

Seaman

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

it looks like the steering wheel would be somewhere around the drivers knees if he stood up in that boat! Probably have to use your right foot for the throttle control then... Standing works great in center consoles and some older bowriders. Most newer bowriders have a much lower cockpit design.

You also risk getting pitched forward teeth first into the windshield frame standing in a bowrider, especially if you are in an area with sandbars that make random appearances.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I kept my speed down when the waves were rough.. 15ish 25ish... only really opened it up when it was smoother... never really got past 35... my lil 4 banger 3.0 can't do much more than that... except when the water is like glass & i'm the only one, then i can get her up to 40...

I didn't say anything about speed.... In a boat not built for rough water, you can get stress cracks and knock things loose at 15 mph if it's rough enough... obviously that would be an extreme case but the repeated jarring of rough water on a boat can take a toll on it.... Not saying you will destroy it but just something to keep in mind if you hadn't thought about it before.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it looks like the steering wheel would be somewhere around the drivers knees if he stood up in that boat! Probably have to use your right foot for the throttle control then... Standing works great in center consoles and some older bowriders. Most newer bowriders have a much lower cockpit design.

You also risk getting pitched forward teeth first into the windshield frame standing in a bowrider, especially if you are in an area with sandbars that make random appearances.

Hmmm--sounds like a poor design for a boat

dragos28

Seaman

Well, I'm not sure what this boat was built for.. but here is what she looks like.... she's a 2001 sea ray 180

attachment.php

I didn't say anything about speed.... In a boat not built for rough water, you can get stress cracks and knock things loose at 15 mph if it's rough enough... obviously that would be an extreme case but the repeated jarring of rough water on a boat can take a toll on it.... Not saying you will destroy it but just something to keep in mind if you hadn't thought about it before.

Hmmm--sounds like a poor design for a boat

oldjeep

Admiral

Well, I'm not sure what this boat was built for.. but here is what she looks like.... she's a 2001 sea ray 180

Slow way down so the nose stays up, on rough days in a bowrider that is about all you can do. And if you were pounding hard enough to notice it, start checking every screw on the boat. They sure like to loosen up when the boat is getting hammered for a while.