Son tried to kill my Alpha One Gen 1

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So my 1 yr old son was spinning the prop yesterday. I immediately yanked him away from it as soon as I saw him but apparently not before he dropped a very small wrench in the propeller. This particular prop is a composite prop and has pretty large gaps between the inner hub and the outside of the prop. I didn't notice until we were trailering the boat after we had been out all day. By then, the wrench had been bent into a U shape and a thumbnail size chunk of the outdrive was missing where the propeller mounts to the drive. The prop was also had a hole in the side where the wrench head was sticking out of. I never heard anything odd and the boat didn't drive abnormally (thankfully I buy cheap tools).

What sort of thing should I check out before launching my boat again? Here's what I thought of:
1. I'm assuming I'll need to make sure my prop shaft is still centered.
2. I'll also want to fix that missing chip but I'm not sure how to go about that. Is there some sort of bondo that will bond to an outdrive?

That's all I've got. What am I missing that could potentially be damaged from this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Son tried to kill my Alpha One Gen 1

Can you post a picture of the chunk missing from the drive? May be best to just leave it alone. Depending on location.