Some more help

van4657

Cadet
Hey guys one more Question I posted a question which was totaly confusing and noone responded( I dont blame ya it was way confusing) I didnt have enough INFO Ive got Plenty more now So now maybe you good folks can help ;) <br /> 85 DT40 wont start for the first 45 min. of cranking I get no spark to the plug Then all of a sudden Poof she fires right up and runs good all day starts every time. If it sits for more than a day the same thing happens wont start for 45 min or so <br /> Heres what i think ...let me know if im way off base here My CDI unit is discharging somehow (isnt it a Capicator of some sort) Then it takes a while of cranking to charge it back up to get a spark<br /> Am i close here or way off base :confused: <br /> Thanks for the help again

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Some more help

I read somewhere on another post that if you disconnect the main electrical plug on the engine and turn the starter over with a remote switch on the starter solenoid that if it fires the problem is the wiring on the boat and if it doesn't the problem is the wiring/ignition on the engine. Hopefully someone with more electrical experience can confirm this. I think you are off base on the cause of your problem except that it may be some kind of bad connection somewhere. I assume you have ruled out fuel mixture issues, yes?

van4657

Cadet

Yup I have ruled out fuel If i try to start it with the key i get no spark (at the plug or wire) and if i pull start it I still get no spark So that rules out the remote starter thing...Although a valid point. Once it does fire 30 to 40 min later I have spark all the time all day until it sits for a while.....Like 24 hours then its the same thing all over again

Bozo

Seaman

Are you saying that you are cranking the motor for 30-40 minutes straight solid? Or cranking it for a while and then come back in 30-40 minutes and it fires off?<br /><br />I would like to know what battery your using. I need to get one if you are turning that motor for 30-40 minutes solid.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Van try disconnecting the main electrical plug and then using the pull starter instead of a remote switch on the solenoid.

van4657

Cadet

Actually I have a DieHard marine I think its 600 cranking amps (just one the Marina had laying around) With all the cranking Ive done im surprised I havent blown it up (the Battery) I dont crank it for 45 min straight Id fry the starter Its a total of about 45 min of trying to start it (electric and manual) and checking it Yes i have disconnected the Harness and still have no spark at the plug Once it does fire up It will pull start every time<br /><br /> Thats why im looking at the CDI unit Its discharging completely after a day or so of sitting and I have to crank and crank for it to charge back up :confused: <br /><br /> Its a good battery I suggest everyone get on :D

Bozo

Seaman

Would there be enough juice left in the battery if you hooked up a battery charger and then leaving the ignition on for the 24 hour period?<br /><br />If so, that may be one other way to verify your assumption that it is the capacitor in the CDI draining. The charge constantly going to the CDI would be enough to keep the caps charged and you should be able better judge that is the problem. (Just guessing, Im not a mech.)

van4657

Cadet

Ive got an update: I Took the boat out yesterday When i got home I totally disconnected the CDI unit I got home from work today @ 8pm CDT (29 hours later) plugged in the CDI and she fired right up....HMMMMM there's something grounded somewhere..... I guess i know what im doing this weekend<br /> :D :D :D

van4657

Cadet

Well i checked all my wires From my CDI up into the engine they all looked good But there was one more The wire to the Magneto The blue one with the red stripe But i had to pull the fly wheel to see it...Well guess what...The fly wheel had rubbed the Insulation from the wire...so i re routed it and taped it up...She works like a champ now...Thanks for all the replies Im just glad we got it fixed....Im off now ...later :D :D

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Great :cool: Its nice to hear the outcome of these little mysteries.