Some engines never quit..

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Well, we found a free boat litterally next door to us this winter. We pick it up, hauled it home, ripped it all appart, and yanked the old 1965 Chevy 283. 20 minutes later the engines was puring away on the ground after an unknown history and at least accouple years since last running. (raw water cooled, salt run)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf2bwkBO18

Since it was free and we had another project on the go the engine sat untouched through a very cold(down to -15*C) winter, with the raw water still in its pipes, it shot a freeze plug out at some point and we found it laying on the ground.

Today, after sitting in the shed all winter, we popped the freeze plug back in and pulled it outside, hooked up water and fuel, and it fires right up first touch of power. oil stays fine, runs perfect, and aside from a shot impeller it needs nothing.

...... these things are little tanks...
why dont they make stuff like they used to?

just thought you might find that interesting....

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Some engines never quit..

First, congrats on the score!
I know what you mean though. It seems like quality workmanship, and pride in what you manufacture just aren't an economically viable standard anymore.
I have a '76 Jeep CJ5 that runs perfectly, and will still be running long after the 3 year old Ford my wife drives has been recycled into cat food cans.

WizeOne

Commander

That engine sounds real healthy but I didn't see any water coming out of the left exhaust, just steam?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You say there's a lack of pride and reliability in manufacturing these days?

You obviously haven't driven a Toyota. ;)

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

lack of water in the riser is because the waterpump that cools the risers only(seperated for reasons beyond me) has a bad impeller.

That engine sounds real healthy but I didn't see any water coming out of the left exhaust, just steam?

I THINK this is normal, the steam is actually exhaust air. So yeah, steam. As long as water is shooting out with force of one of the exhaust holes, you are okay I THINK. Can anyone back me up on this???