Solonoid Connect to Carbs?

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice
I need to know. How does the solonoid move the choke plates? I cannot see any connection between the two, that is a physical moving part. Have a 1980 70 hp Johnson with the solonoid with a red lever. Do I have a part missing?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Solonoid Connect to Carbs?

Do you have a choke or an injection primer?

dish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It doesnt mate.solonoid just shoots fuel diectly into top of carb.start the outboard then depress key.If the motor bogs the solonoids working.

hidef

Lieutenant

The solenoid is connected directly to the bottom Carb and then there should be two rods connecting the other two carbs to the bottom one as per the parts diagram. OMC did switch over to a priming system later on is it possible you have a later model block or intake system? The first link is for your 80 and shows the choke the second link is for a 85 and shows the priming system.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Intake+Manifold

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Intake+Manifold

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. Does the carbs choke plate stay closed? My plates are closed at all times. Seems like they would be choked all the time? My solonoid is connected directly to the bottom carb and the other carbs are connected to it by a rod.

The solenoid is connected directly to the bottom Carb and then there should be two rods connecting the other two carbs to the bottom one as per the parts diagram. OMC did switch over to a priming system later on is it possible you have a later model block or intake system? The first link is for your 80 and shows the choke the second link is for a 85 and shows the priming system.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...CSA&manufacturer=Evinrude?ion=Intake+Manifold

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...COS&manufacturer=Evinrude?ion=Intake+Manifold

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice

I have a choke system I think. The solonoid is connected to the bottom carb and the other carbs connected to it via a rod. The carb choke plate stays closed?

hidef

Lieutenant

The choke plates should be open all the time unless the choke is activated. Activating the choke by pushing in the key closes the plates restricting airflow into the carbs which will enrich the fuel air mixture thus making the engine is easier to start. You have a manual lever on the solenoid if you flip that it should open the chokes up.

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice

The choke plates should be open all the time unless the choke is activated. Activating the choke by pushing in the key closes the plates restricting airflow into the carbs which will enrich the fuel air mixture thus making the engine is easier to start. You have a manual lever on the solenoid if you flip that it should open the chokes up.

Without a physical connection tell me how does that work? Do not understand and want to.

hidef

Lieutenant

Look at the parts diagram you might be missing a part The end of the solenoid connects directly to the bottom carb. Without photos it is hard to help anymore than that.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

What is your model number, that will direct us to your exact engine.

hidef

Lieutenant

Please recheck your model number it doesn't come up when searched on the BRP website

hidef

Lieutenant

Your outboard is not a 1980 it is closer to an 1989 please recheck your model number. That is a primer solenoid there should be two fuel lines running into it. When you push the key it injects fuel directly into the intake manifold to enrich the fuel mixture. Does your engine have VRO?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Couldn't cross that number, below is a 1980 70hp breakdown.
Look at #23, it connects the choke solenoid to the choke linkage. When you activate the choke the solenoid will pull the choke plates closed. You need to make sure that you have proper voltage to the solenoid when activated. Make sure the choke linkage is adjusted properly. The choke plates should be wide open when not activated.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice

My solonoid does not look like that. It has a red lever without any place to connect?

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, what is VRO? There are three fuel lines running from the solonoid. One is a main fuel connection. One goes to the bottom carb and the other is connected to the other two carbs.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

That is why we need a model number.
The post I did above was for the wrong engine.
Your system injects fuel into the manifold behind the carbs.
The plates you see are throttle plates and should be closed at an idle.