Solid, good quality tow vehicle for under $5k.

dnifedem85

Seaman
I drive a sports car for my day to day driving and love it, so I am not going to get rid of it. I am looking for a vehicle that can tow my 3500 lbs. boat. I would really like a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 because I can drop the top with it, in addition to pulling my boat. I saw that the towing capacity is really low for the Wrangler (I think 2500 lbs.) so it looks like I need to come up with another option. Does anyone know of any good tow vehicles for under $5,000. I don't want to spend much because this is all I will be using it for. I am open to both domestic and foreign trucks or SUV's. Thanks guys!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Solid, good quality tow vehicle for under $5k.

Do you like classic American iron? How about a 12-25 year old American sedan, or even convertible. You want simplicity, dependability and pulling umph right? If your stuck on a truck, same thing only think pickup truck.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I drive a sports car for my day to day driving and love it, so I am not going to get rid of it. I am looking for a vehicle that can tow my 3500 lbs. boat. I would really like a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 because I can drop the top with it, in addition to pulling my boat. I saw that the towing capacity is really low for the Wrangler (I think 2500 lbs.) so it looks like I need to come up with another option. Does anyone know of any good tow vehicles for under $5,000. I don't want to spend much because this is all I will be using it for. I am open to both domestic and foreign trucks or SUV's. Thanks guys!

The biggest thing against the wrangler for towing is the short wheel base. If you like the Jeep product you should be able to get a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee in your price range. The Cherokee is pretty well rock solid - but then, I am a Jeep fan!.

If you like the drop top idea, there is always the older Jimmy's, Blazers and larger Bronco's that have the removable cab roofs similar to the Wranglers

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

If you're not proud...Chevy Astro AWD minivan (or GMC Safari AWD) minivan. 6500lbs tow rating 4.3L V6, usually with a tow package, and AWD for ramp traction.

Just my recommendation

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

find an old 3/4 or 1 ton pick up, or surburban. it will tow it all day long. the surburbans are at great prices these days. i tow a 5000 with one. we have 2 1992 and 1999.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Max towing on even a brand new wrangler is 3500 so i would advise against that. I have a grand cherokee that i really like but i wouldnt call it a "solid" tow rig(unibody) but its comfortable has heated seats and can tow 6k(i wouldnt). If you just want a tow rig and not a daily driver I would purchase a truck/suv with a frame,V8,and 4x4 outside of that i wouldn't really care.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

find an old 3/4 or 1 ton pick up, or surburban. it will tow it all day long. the surburbans are at great prices these days. i tow a 5000 with one. we have 2 1992 and 1999.

Suburbans are the way to go. All you need is a 2wd and you'll have a very comfortable tow. The weight of the subrban and the long wheel base make for a very stable tow.

I'm on my 3rd surburban. First was a '78 1/2 ton with with full time 4wd, sold that one with 165K on it. Then a '90 1/2 ton that was still running strong when we sold it with just under 190K ( we regularly towed to Canada , a six hour one way tow when it had 170K on it). Now it's a 3/4 ton '01 with the 6.0L and the tow package.

Jeff

Bigprairie1

Commander

I'd avoid the Chrysler Jeep/SUV stuff if I were you and go with either an extended cab GM 4x4 (Z71) or, as Tashasdaddy said, a Suburban.
These vehicles have much better mechanical records than the Jeep stuff and usually more capability. I've heard nothing but really positive stuff from people who have had suburbans. They are a big vehicle and a little harder on fuel but their record is very good for what you are looking for.
Just my two bits.;)
BP:)

Splat

Lieutenant

How about looking into a mid 90's Ford Bronco. I decent one can be picked up for a few thousand dollars amd the are very solid for towing with, plus have plenty of power to boot. They are also easy to work on.

PLUS you can take to fiberglass top off in the summer and have it wide open. It's a pretty cool feature actually.

Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1992-96_Ford_Bronco.jpg

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking about buying a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2 wheel drive with the A/T 4.0 V-6. The wheelbase is 9" shorter then the regular 4 door Explorer but the 4.0 engine is pretty strong. I don't live in a mountainous area (central Virgina south of DC) & the most I would travel to get to the good lakes is about 70 miles one way on open interstate. My pontoon boat loaded won't weigh more then maybe 2500# at best. The 2000 Explorer has 90,000 miles on the clock & I can buy it cheap at today's prices. Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first pontoon.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

for the toon the explorer will be fine, you need trailer brakes. in a quick stop that toon will turn the short wheel base around.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the process of modifing a LoadRite boat trailer into a pontoon trialer. It came with surge brakes that I need to completly replace with new ones which I intend to do. It's rated for 6000# & it came with the 20.5X8X10 trailer tires & they measure 88" from center to center of the treads. I take that as being a "wide stance" setup"? Most pontoon trialers I looked at appear to have the tires somewhat "inset" or more inside the tubes whereas mine will be outside of the tubes. The Explorer I'm looking at buying does not have a frame hitch but if I buy it I will be sure to add one as I don't trust the bumber hitch setup. I will also ADD a transmission cooler just to be on the safe side. NO farther then I will be towing the pontoon & considering the fact I will not be encountering any moutains, I was hoping the Explorer would be fine for what I need.

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

When towing anything there are three things that you can't have to much of. They are 1) power...that means a V8 2) brakes...BIG four wheel disks are the best 3) weight...you definatly don't want your boat pushing the rear of the tow vehicle around (tail wagging the dog). One other big factor is wheelbase. Again, bigger (longer) is better.

For the size and weight boat that you are looking at, almost any 1/2 ton pickup will work. Pluses are V8, automatic, and four wheel drive for steep or slick ramps.

I pull a 24' pocket cruiser (6500lbs) with a '99 Chevy 1500 ext cab short bed 4x4. This includes over some mountainous terrain in Va. I am well aware that my current boat is approaching the safe towing limits of the truck (it's rated at 8200lbs MAX) so I keep the truck and trailer in top condition, take it slow and easy.

In today's market you should be able to pick up an older pickup (older than 2000) in excellent condition for much less than $5k with a little looking.