Solenoid

diann1

Seaman Apprentice
I hope someone can help me with this question, I have a 1976 Mark Twain boat, when I put the water muffs on it and start it in the driveway it start and turns off fine. When I take it to the boat ramp and it is on a angle, the solenoid stays engaged and the start stays running. Some one told me that it will not work right on a angle, is this true. Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
No that isn't right o matter what. My first thought is the return spring is broke or damaged. What motor do you have?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No - Solenoid spring will open the solenoid on any angle. Even a 302 Ford Mercruiser.

Moving this to the Mercruiser section.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
All of the cummins AEB's (Application Engineering Bulletins ) state to mount slave solenoids vertical with terminals up. That way when the spring breaks it will not cause inadvertent cranking.

I know that John Deere and Cat have similar AEB's. Pretty certain there is validity to mounting vertical

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
If this is a Ford 302 (888) then it should have the Autolite starter. The starter uses a drive plunger to engage the drive gear into the flywheel. This is a mechanical mechanism which uses the plunger return spring to return the starter gear. If it is the solenoid which is supplying power to the start then GA and Scott are on the right path. If it is the starter hanging, then this can be corrosion or the plunger return spring.

Autolite Starter.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
In one of the OP's other threads, Questions were asked about a 302 and another about a 140 HP - But all Mercruiser related.

Whether the solenoid is mounted upside down, horizontally or vertically, if the reason it won't work properly is because it's on an angle - It's busted. Millions and millions of solenoids work perfectly in less than level conditions.