Solas Rubex failure

roostonu

Cadet
Has anyone else been disappointed with the Rubex hubs on Solas props? I just put 4 hours on a new prop and hub and then tried to change props to another pitch (also new) and ended up having to use an arbor press to remove the hub to put in the other prop. The hub had already started to spin in the prop which in turn also atarted to tear the rubber on all 4 corners of the hub. Not only would a prop change on the lake be impossible, but unless you have an arbor press in your garage, would have been impossible there too. Nothing happened during the 4 hours of usage that would cause this and it is the proper pitch for the boat. The hub is rated for our horse power and was installed and torqued properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

george248

Recruit
Re: Solas Rubex failure

I had the same experience, without the tearing. I do not see the benefit of the Rubex hub, when it cannot be changed on the water. If I had known this in advance, I may have went with the Amita instead of the Rubex.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

ouch! i just spoke highly of my new rubex 4 blade alum.used 1 time for 1 hour +/-.i spanked it hard after a 2 min. break in!!I think i'll pull it off and inspect the hub.get back soon.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YOW!!! I've changed mine once after a couple hours of use and then sitting for several months. No way I could push the rubber hub out by hand. I got it out by setting up a couple of blocks of wood and standing on it. No damage was evident on the hub. I put a light silicone coat on the hub before pushing it into the new prop. I may end up regretting that step. Haven't had any issues that I'm aware of since and the performance of the prop itself is impressive. I'll be "all ears" to hear if anyone else has had problems with the Rubex.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I just inspected my new rubex - 1hour use.I did put it through a torture test,lots of throttle and wot.the hub appears to have sliped about 10 degrees and wedged inside the prop.i gave up on trying to remove it w 4lb hammer and blocks for fear of damaging it.maybe i could spank it in reverse to loosen it up,HA HA!!I didnt see any instructions for greasing the hub.I think that might make it more prone to slip or fail completely!I have a 17 pitch,might get a 15 after I get a tach.but I wonder If the hub can handle the tourqe.it will be more than the 17 right?you think I could use a block on the lower unit ,and try to twist it back to remove it?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry duplicate post.

Last edited:

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

wow, after reading this, Im glad I went with the Amita for my new prop!!!. this doesnt seem right, and could lead to future problems if you need to change the prop out in a hurry

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Has anyone contacted Solas or maybe the prop dept. here at iboats?

Bifflefan

Commander

Its the same with a Michigan Wheel hub. They are made of plastic and will expand. The original Quicksilver #835257Q1 isnt and it doesnt expand so you can take it out easily.
This is per the tech at West Michigan Propeller, that used to work at Michigan Wheel.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I think I figured out how to (unwind my hub). Ill take it to wot and pull the stop lanyard!!!, that should apply reverse tourqe to the hub right?then maybe it will return to its proper position like it went on and i can pull it off by hand.Ill be sure to tell passengers to hold on first!!!just kidding. $115, I knew there might be a catch.If it dosent twist any more or fail Ill be happy w performance.but i may ask for a free hub if i buy a new 15 pitch prop soon.if it is hard to remove hub/prop, its no better than a pressed in hub.aint that one of the advertised rubex advantages?anyone have trouble w solas amita hubs?tell it!

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, out of curiosity I pulled my prop. The Rubex hub has been in this Solas prop since April, and the boat has been run on several occassions over the months since. The hub was in perfect position in the prop, with no evidence of having slipped or twisted. The hub was again stuck pretty firm in the prop. I set the outer edges of the hub of the prop on a couple of blocks of wood, placed a large socket on the top side of the Rubex hub and stood on it. With a bit of "bouncy" persuasion it slid out. The rubber hub still looks like new, with no deformity of any kind. I put it all back together on the motor and will continue to use it. My motor is a 1976 70HP Evinrude.

NHGuy

Captain

I also have a Michigan Wheel on my boat and have had it off a number of times without incident.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had another thought on this. For those of you that have had the rubber hub slip or twist, is there any possibility at all that the hub was not fully seated in the prop? The hub of the prop that the rubber hub slides into seems to be slightly tapered all the way. I know the last quarter inch to fully seat the hub is extremely tight on my prop, and it takes a stiff turn of the prop wrench to get it to go, which explains why it's hard to get out. If there's any chance the hub is not fully and completely seated I can see where it might slip or twist. Just a thought. . .

davlafont

Cadet

Subscribed!

Please keep posting your experiences. I've been waiting impatiently to install my Rubex prop(s). I was half toying with the idea of making a prop case that would hold the second prop, some spare hardware and the prop wrench. I was thinking that a mallet and a drift block/dowel might be a part of kit. Sounds like that might not be enough. :eek:

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

davlafont.i posted my first opinions of my rubex recently, (new rubex prop),i am impressed w/perf. so far.I think you might want another hub, w/ second prop.then changing props should be easy on the water if hub gets stuck in the prop.I have no trouble removing the hub from the prop shaft.the rubex hub is definatly more forgiving/insulating, than the pressed in yamaha hub circa 2003.much quieter shifting.hardly any clunk.less vibration at power.i sit on the alum. boat 3 feet from motor when its not to hot.(then i sit on a throwable cushion)and can feel the difference from the seat of my pants so to speak!!

Last edited:

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

duplicate again ooofff

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wondering if other Solas users have issues with the Rubex 3 hub? I'm about to order a 19 and 21 pitch Rubex props and 1 hub kit, but if they get so tight that it can't be changed on the water I don't see the point to the hub system.

Anyone else have problems with the Rubex hub system twisting or jamming in the prop?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I guess the rubex hub flexes more than the Amitas hub.and they jam in the prop.the price difference isnt much and I hope mine has twisted as far as its going too. if mine doesent fail or come out of ballance from the twisting Ill be satisfied.and just buy another hub w my next rubex.i did get mine on sale ,not sure what they are now.as stated before the thunk of shifting is much less than the 03 yamaha alum I had w pressed or permanent hub in it.ill be back on the water soon and see if I cant twist it till it rotates in the prop!!I marked it when I inspected it last to see if it turns anymore.only 30/40 mins. on it now.

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I was watching the Solex videos on their props, and when they installed a fresh prop, they pounded the hub in with a piece of 2x4. They also had to drive it out too. So some sort of hammer will need to be carried on the boat. I usually have an 18" piece of 2x4 on the boat, so hopefully that will do the job.

Are you confident the hub went in all the way before the prop was put on the shaft?