Solar power for a pontoon boat cabin

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Solar power for a pontoon boat cabin

I have an old 4-cup 12 volt/120 volt percolating coffee pot and 12 volt fans with 12 volt lights on my boat. we use Tammy's iPad as a TV. no AC, however we have fun.

My buddys sail boat has a 3-way fridge (12 volt, 120 volt and propane).

with a bit of ingenuity, sticking to a 12 volt system you can probably get into a sustainable system with a few solar panels, a small wind generator and maybe a propane tank. However if you want to run 120 Volt system you will need the generator.

Catfishearl

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all the posters. So much to think about!!

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The OP was original asking about a 120 volt system

That's what the inverter is for, to change 12v DC into 120v AC. It's not necessary to have 120v worth of DC batteries.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I bought an gasoline powered generator from Amazon.com for $450.00 It put's out 4400 watts of electricity. Very quite,You could run everything you want off of it.. You could make seat to cover it and insulate it and near hear it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That's what the inverter is for, to change 12v DC into 120v AC. It's not necessary to have 120v worth of DC batteries.

yes I know that but he was asking about a house bank and, 10 amps at 12 volts is the same as 1 amp at 120 volts and for larger devices you have a lot more capacity and use while charging with less amp loss.

How ever their many many ways to do things and run thing and like most of us it often comes down to whats the easy and cheapest.

Last edited: