Soft spots in floor 1988 walkthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1988 sunbird corsair and I have noticed atleast two soft areas in the floor. I thought after summer I would remove the carpet and have a look. What's under there, fiberglass over wood? I have new bench seats to install and a roll of carpet. Can I cut out plywood and put it down then cover with carpet. Should I add some fiberglass first? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!!!

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Soft spots in floor 1988 walkthrough

you should cut out thye old floor with a saw.there will surely be some rot damage underneath.stringers and such.repair all that and put new plywood floor down.fiberglass the seams all the way around.epoxy coat the rest to waterproof.then the new carpet and seats.hth.been there-done that.lol

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Go to the red search at the top of the page and enter "rot" as a search argument. Grab some of your favorite beverage -------------------

The stringers are like floor joist? What would they be made of? When cutting out the floor should I cut as close to the outside as posible and set my blade (skill saw?) the depth of the floor wood so as not to cut into the stringers. Thanks for your advice xltier and I should do what solittle said and I could learn this without bothering anyone else. I know it's a bother when someone has a problem and imediately post a question without reading any other post first. Thanks everyone!!!!

brn77

Seaman Apprentice

yes set ur blades if the stringers are good , wich they look like it in the pic ??? they should be wood or fiberglass over wood

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

This is a 6 year old thread, what's up with the old threads lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.