So Which Part Needs To Be Replaced To Fix Water In Lower Unit?

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm preparing myself for the worse.
Outboard Merc 2005 ELPT 60 4-stroke EFI
Serial # 1B144XXX

My first year owning this new to be boat. I changed the gear oil a while back and noticed it was milky. No idea when the gear oil was last changed. I filled it back up and replaced the drain screw gaskets. I'm hoping it's just that, but I wont know until I dunk the boat back in spring.

My experience with the boat this summer has been great. Runs well. My first time with a console, so I'm not sure if this is normal. But when I put the boat in reverse, the lower unit makes a clicking sound when I first initiate the lever into reverse, then it the sound disappears and if I dont hold the lever back, it will pop back in neutral.

merclu.jpg

lowerparts.jpg

PS, I plan on replacing water impeller/pump in the spring too. Just havent decided if I should attempt it or pay a shop. I have no idea when or if it has been changed before. But the pee is very strong and no sign of issue.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: So Which Part Needs To Be Replaced To Fix Water In Lower Unit?

What we working on??That diagram is for an outboard.You in the right section?Always include Model,serial# and HP.
If it leaks the first thing is do a pressure test.
It could be a simple as a drain plug seal or the shaft seals.
You say it pee's good??? No sterndrive I know of has a pee'er :)
If you really want to work on your own stuff you should get a GOOD manual.
Changing the pump is simple unless you do it wrong(manual).
The clunk in reverse could be a shift cable adjustment or a cable replacement. Or you need #45.That piece usually doesn't go bad in reverse.It could be bad.J

j_martin

Admiral

BoatNoobie,
Do yourself and us a favor and change the image size at aww-kittah-aww.com to 640 x 480. The oversize image of the LU parts diagram causes us all to have to scroll for the simplest things.

When you look at the image in a browser, it automatically resizes, but not in this forum.

It also would help to know what engine you're working on.

hope it helps
john

robert graham

Admiral

Remove prop, inspect for monofilament fishing line wrapped around prop shaft and under seal, causing leak. You did the drain/fill plugs gaskets/washers, only others it could be are the drive shaft seal or the shift shaft seal. Plan to do your own water pump and inspect these others while you have the lower unit off. I did my own water pump impeller replacement a few weeks back and it's not that difficult, just plan your time, place, parts,tools, etc., and about 2 hours later you'll be done. You've got all winter to fix you seal and you'll be set to go fishing in the spring! Good Luck!

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

anything wrong with Sierra waterpump kits? I see it for sale here. Any brands I should stay away from, or I should buy instead?

Also, am I reading the parts # correctly?

I should be buying either the complete kit, 18-3324 or maybe the 18-3507 if I wanted to save a little bit of money, right?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The factory stuff is usually the best but Sierra is good too.A lot cheaper too.J

k dogg

Cadet

the water pump base seals ( at driveshaft ) are the most common to leak water into the gear case

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

the water pump base seals ( at driveshaft ) are the most common to leak water into the gear case

oh no, that's the one that needs a special socket to remove, correct?
mercdriveshaft.jpg

shaftparts.jpg

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

anything wrong with Sierra waterpump kits? I see it for sale here. Any brands I should stay away from, or I should buy instead?

Also, am I reading the parts # correctly?

I should be buying either the complete kit, 18-3324 or maybe the 18-3507 if I wanted to save a little bit of money, right?

:confused: