So I'm now testing the Doral warranty, should be interesting

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have developed a split approx 3 inches long in the cap at the rear of the starboard stringer (right on the top) along with a few small splits at the top of the finish on the transom.

Should be interesting to see if Doral covers this under their 10 year warranty (boat is less than 2 years into the warranty).

I'm also taking on water for some reason. After a day on the water I have about 1.5-2 inches of water in the bottom of the bilge. Should be interesting to see if they can find and fix that as well.

Stay tuned.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: So I'm now testing the Doral warranty, should be interesting

Can't see any viable excuses for the split on the stringer.
Good luck with the gelcoat cracks on the transom:facepalm:

Love an update on your progress.

I had an issue with water in the bilge that took way too long to diagnose, turned out to be leaking steering pin seals. We found them after redoing every through hull fitting one by one.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

So they are claiming the "hairline" split is primarily cosmetic and that it is probably due to to much gel/fibreglass sprayed on when it was built and as such it the covering was weak and caused the crack. Hmmm.

Assuming that is true, the next problem is to find the leak......

Stay tuned.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting. They will fix the hairline split right?

Any picture? I would mind comparing to my boat.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't have a picture yet, but will post as soon as I can.

They are saying it's cosmetic so nothing to actually fix.

I'll post and see what Iboats experts have to say. If it is truly cosmetic I'll just put some 4200 in it to keep water out in the future.

Emancipation

Seaman Apprentice

Even if it's cosmetic, it still should be fixed under warranty. What if you bought a new dodge truck and 2 years later the paint started peeling off...cosmetic, but still covered under warranty. BTW, I have a Chevy!

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same here. I though spider web cracks on the hull where part of Doral's warranty.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same here. I though spider web cracks on the hull where part of Doral's warranty.

It's not on the hull, it's an actual split in the cap on the top of the stringer. Sorry, still no pics, they fixed the leak which they said was a hose but the water test revealed noisy u-joints according to the tech.

It gets more and more interesting. Wonder if this will be covered under the 2 year volvo warranty that is supposed to come with the boat......

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I had the boat out this weekend in Bob's Lake in Eastern ontario so I could spend a lot of time watching for the leak. The boat is indeed still leaking and I think I've narrowed it down to the actual drain plug mechanism (not the actual drain plug as I put teflon on it and it is still leaking).

I didn't have a mirror to see but I'm going to do that shortly. Possibily one of the 3 screws holding it in is leaking.

Stay tuned.

PS. she ran 56.7 mph with 60+ gallons of fuel aboard. Fastest ever......

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

PS. she ran 56.7 mph with 60+ gallons of fuel aboard. Fastest ever......

Now how long would the 60 mgallons last at that speed :eek::eek:
Doral should cover all issues you have.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now how long would the 60 mgallons last at that speed :eek::eek:
Doral should cover all issues you have.

From the boattest fuel usage grid 60 gallons should go 120 miles at WOT. Not to bad getting 2 mpg at WOT I figure.

I rarely go over 40 mph and usually at cruise of 30 mph I'm at around 4.5 mpg which is also pretty good for a 4000 pound boat with a 5.7 in the back.

I agree Doral should fix everything, but I'm not sure they will. The impression I go on the split is that it's cosmetic and so it doesn't really matter.

Stay tuned.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

From the boattest fuel usage grid 60 gallons should go 120 miles at WOT. Not to bad getting 2 mpg at WOT I figure.

I rarely go over 40 mph and usually at cruise of 30 mph I'm at around 4.5 mpg which is also pretty good for a 4000 pound boat with a 5.7 in the back.

I agree Doral should fix everything, but I'm not sure they will. The impression I go on the split is that it's cosmetic and so it doesn't really matter.

Stay tuned.

Make a LOT of noise over the warranty thing !!! they will most likely pacify you to shut you up !!!

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I got a $400 bill (4 hours labour) for them to "fix" the leak but the boat is still leaking. They also charged me for the noisy u-joints which they found, and then said it wasn't a problem. How long do you think is reasonable to remove a drive, check gimbal and reinstall? For sure I'm not paying for that part of the repair bill

We'll see how my chat with them this weekend goes.

Sorry, still don't have pic of the split in the stringer but will post this weekend as we'll have the boat back again.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Kick em hard and keep complaining. fairly loudly when there are other customersmaround to hear it. Should not have to do this but if that's what it takes .......

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll be firmly gentle.

Stay tuned.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

How is your warranty going? firmly gentle working?
Looking forward to seeing a positive result.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went to argue about the bill but the guy wasn't there so no news yet.

Here is the pic of the split in my stringer. What do y'all think? Remember, the dealer said it's just cosmetic.

StringerSplit.jpg

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cosmetic or not, where there is a split water will get in, if water gets in wood rots, if wood rots.... You can see where I'm going with this..

Good Luck with your battle!
Rick.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

How's the claim going?
Just re-read a lot of the survey reports from my issues, seems the issues lay with Doral and the service agent. At least yours is clear cut... Doral built it!
I would not give in to the, "it's only cosmetic line", as Chevyboy says, it will eventually be a much greater and infinately more expensive problem.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

How's the claim going?
Just re-read a lot of the survey reports from my issues, seems the issues lay with Doral and the service agent. At least yours is clear cut... Doral built it!
I would not give in to the, "it's only cosmetic line", as Chevyboy says, it will eventually be a much greater and infinately more expensive problem.

Still going round on this.

Went up last weekend but the guy I need to speak to wasn't there. Will be back up there tomorrow and will keep pushing. I have to still resolve the billing for items they never fixed plus get them to move on the stringer.

I put the boat in the water last time up and within 21 minutes I had a small puddle in the bilge. I subsequently pulled the drain plug reciever as that is where I suspect the leak is as I've been watching for some time now and no water seems to come from any of the other fittings. I cleaned it all out and resealed it with 4200. Will be testing tomorrow.

Stay tuned.