so, i think i figured out why my boat was cheap.

turbocorrado

Petty Officer 1st Class
NEVER MIND ON FUEL PUMP ISSUE

exactly why you look for yourself and dont take other peoples word for it. my coworker is dumb and i am too for listening to him

Cptkid570

Ensign
Dang turbo! Tell us how you really feel! LOL! I can sense your frustration. The boat will be your masterpiece in time. Your wife just trusts you with the mechanics and knows that you will get it working correctly, so it isn't something she is worried about. Just be patient, fix one thing at a time, and soon it will all be fixed.

Good job on shutting the father in-law out. Co-ownership doesn't work. There are horror stories about it. You can just politely tell him not to worry about buying stuff for the boat and to save his money for his own boat.

turbocorrado

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dang turbo! Tell us how you really feel! LOL! I can sense your frustration. The boat will be your masterpiece in time. Your wife just trusts you with the mechanics and knows that you will get it working correctly, so it isn't something she is worried about. Just be patient, fix one thing at a time, and soon it will all be fixed.

Good job on shutting the father in-law out. Co-ownership doesn't work. There are horror stories about it. You can just politely tell him not to worry about buying stuff for the boat and to save his money for his own boat.

haha frustration is at a max. if there wasnt such a thing as beer this thing would have a viking funeral already. i got it running tonight for ~ 5 minutes, then i changed the oil again. it only idles, bogs down and dies when throttle is applied. pretty sure its just the bad gas. gonna work on getting it out tomorrow. i reached my breaking point where if i didnt hear it run tonight i was gonna go insane.

turbocorrado

Petty Officer 1st Class
i havent checked yet, but thinking this may be key in getting all the milkshake out. how hard is it to get to the real drain plug on the oil pan?? this might save an oil change or 2 if i can let it all run out. i know its not all coming out sucking it through the dipstick tube

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I gotta agree with CaptKid, you'll hang this trophy on the wall when it's done. That bottom plug isn't all that hard to get to, just too much oil for the itty bitty pan that will fit under there. Once you get what you can out through the dipstick, drop a small pan in the bilge and pull the plug. leave it for a night.

Rick

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Might be easier to tilt the boat all the way back as far as you can, then put a large container under the transom drain plug. Make sure the transom plug is out, then take off the oil pan plug. The oil will run out the engine, into the bilge, and out the drain hole. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight It will be a little work to clean it up in the morning, but not too bad in all.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and run off a gas can - disconnect fuel line and put into fresh fuel in can

turbocorrado

Petty Officer 1st Class
i was able to get all the gas out tonight. gauge was reading 1/3 tank... got about 18-20 gallons out. ended up disconnecting the line out of the carb, putting a line on it and running it into a drum i had, hooking a car battery i had up to the fuel pump, and letting it suck it all out.

also pulled the distributor cap off, and it def needs to be replaced. gonna try and pick one up tomorrow

turns out the motor has one of those transom drain things on it.

Cptkid570

Ensign
Do you suspect that the gas tank has any varnished gas in it or was it just old? Since the seller ran the engine on this gas, I wouldn't think it was too bad. You could throw a can of Chemtol B12 in there just to make sure if you don't know.

I'm glad you found an easy way to drain all of your oil.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
my boat had sat for three years with an 'empty' tank so I had lots of varnish. Luckily it was really easy for me to splice in a cheap inline fuel filter and bought 10 right away. Changed fist one after about an hour when it started bogging down, progressively got longer between changes until after about the fourth tank ran thru. I just bought two more but its running clean now.

turbocorrado

Petty Officer 1st Class
i got it running, its on its 4th oil change in 5 days and the oil is essentially perfect at this point, i think the boat sunk and thats how the water got in, i can find no obvious issues, and it runs great. i put some gas dry stuff in the tank and 10 gallons of new fuel. seems to be no issues there

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, that seems to be some good news, except for the sinking part, but you don't know that for sure.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
my boat sat for three years and unknown up to that point. I launched it (saw your other thread) and tied off at the dock and ran for four hours just watching things. Changed filters twice (it needed it) and then went slowly from there.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I sort of did the same thing. I went to the boat ramp and put my boat in just find out what was broken. Once I fixed everything I was able to take a trip out into the water.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Doing the same thing now with my 98 Wellcraft eclipse 2000 SS. It's been used 2-3 times in the past couple years the P.O told me. I already replaced the power steering pump and one of the hoses and am going to change the fuel filter and oil here shortly as well. It has the VP 5.7 with SX outdrive. Also going to add another battery and a switch. also, the sundeck wood part could stand to be replaced which is probably an afternoon job with some plywood and other various bits plus a lot of SS screws, staples, and gorilla glue.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I think your boat is starting to look like a better deal every day... if nothing else, think of all the fun and experience you are getting hanging out here and working on it :^)

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yup, a matter of expectation setting. The boat you bought was in pretty rough shape, at least the interior was, from the pictures you posted. So, it is a matter of setting the expectations among the 'crew' as to what would be ahead until you reach a 'steady state'.

I know that my 'Admiral' took a few years to understand the amount of maintenance (and expense) that can go into a boat. We are on our third boat, so I don't really need to explain to her anymore. :)

Multiple ownership is a tough game, so you are probably best to avoid it.
sorry, but my wife and I laughed our asses off when you said " We are on our third boat" we too are on our third boat in a year, and haven't made it to the water yet. I seem to attract boats that the po states " they are good "...but one day We will make it to the lake! in the Chaparral, maybe lol

good luck to ya!

btw I think that Mercruiser needs to make a dip stick that goes deeper into the sump, so it will show what is in the bottom of the pan. The Mercruiser 3.0 dip stick that doesn;t even protrude even to the end of the tube, this just letting you check the top of the oil, not the bottom

Last edited: