SO How bad is it? 1958 AD-12

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Two videos,
The first is on the boat underway, coming back from a morning run. Motor ran like a champ, started immediately and the
"marble in the can" sound started after several hours and 2.5 gallons of gas that took us 20 miles or so. Half the time we were at trolling speed just poking around.

Second video is powerhead on the bench looking at fuel leaking around crank/drive bearing.

Pulled the bottom apart and the gears in the foot are pristine.
Now for the videos -

And , has anybody "seen" Frank lately? or has my schedule been that messed up?

http://youtu.be/65Oy4FH42wA

http://youtu.be/HiG2vXWhXgU

not sure how to get em to be executable. you may have to cut and paste.

Attachments

• photo224878.jpg
    photo224878.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I hear the sound in the first video, don't know what it is. Second video is "private", won't let me look.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Ok, I see what you are concerned about. But it is totally normal. Normally, the carbon seal assembly which is still on your drive shaft stops that blow-by. However, as I watched you rotate it, I saw the magneto plate trying to rotate also. That strongly suggests something is rubbing under the flywheel. Could be the coils rubbing on the magnets, or it could be something loose in there. Whatever it is, may be your noise.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Frank.
Note that when I got the motor and replaced the impeller, the cork seal (that should seal this spot) was not there.
It is now.
I did pull the flywheel and could not see any rubbing evidence.
Will take more pics this weekend.

That dam* sound sounds like damage being done.
WOuld you run it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Nope. Might be getting ready to toss a connecting rod through the crankcase. Missing lower seal will do that. (Lets water into the crankcase, destroying the rod bearing).

Last edited: