Snake identification needed

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Snake identification needed

Definitely not a moccasin. The colors and such are all wrong. I'm calling this one a harmless water snake. Put him back, he's hungry.

robert graham

Admiral

I'm 100% sure it is a Moccasin, so somebody's wrong, but I've seen plenty of them while boating in Florida.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm voting for water snake. way different from the moccasin.

By the way firecapt ....that's a cool link. Thanks:)

Trickle56

Seaman Apprentice

I'm gonna have to say Cotton mouth/water moccasin. The head is triangular but some snakes puff their heads up to look venoumous or twitch their tails like a rattle snake. All the eastern or nothern (heard them called both) water snakes i've seen aren't ever this fat and short. notice the tail gets narrower only seen that on a cotton mouth.

robert graham

Admiral

Go to Google and check water moccasins and compare photos. I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't grab that snake for $10k dollars! Check it out!

robert graham

Admiral

If you check Google for Water Moccasin Pictures you will see the exact same photograph that our original poster put on this forum. That's really strange!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If you check Google for Water Moccasin Pictures you will see the exact same photograph that our original poster put on this forum. That's really strange!

That is strange...on my computer it is the picture posted by a responder ("Cordell") to illustrate what a water moccasin looks like that is straight from Wikipedia....which actually makes perfect sense. ;)

The OP's pic doesn't look anything like that. :confused:

robert graham

Admiral

Tim, you're right, my mistake...no wonder I was so sure it was a moccasin. I was looking at that other picture!...

bigdee

Commander

It does not look poisonous. My guess is a water-snake which is very common around water,much more so than moccasin. There have been many an innocent snake killed over fear. When you spot a moccasin there is no doubt about it being the real McCoy....they have the look of evil,LARGE triangular head with cat eyes with deep pits under them. 9 times out of 10 a snake encounter will be with a non-poisonous. With the exception of copperheads they are foxy and very good at staying hid from view.

FireCapt

Cadet

I'm voting for water snake. way different from the moccasin.

By the way firecapt ....that's a cool link. Thanks:)

No prob. I was looking for a good pic for a water snake and that came up. It is a cool site.

Guys... THIS IS NOT A WATER MOCCASIN. To the untrained eye, non-poisonous water snakes are often mistaken for moccasins. I have had to deal with many snake bites in my career... many of them moccasins and this is no moccasin.

JRJ

Commander

If it tastes like chicken, then its a good snake :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Regardless...... if it bit me.... I would die :eek: it may be heart failure from the surprise but, in my book any snake bite is bad!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep !!!! I could not stay clear enough of any snake !!!

johnny be good

Seaman Apprentice

Tickle its belly if it laughs its a funny snake. Just kidding but I live in Pa. and don't have a problem with snakes like an earlier post said if the snake eye pupiles are round it not venumous if they are slit vertical it is venumous. I live in an old farm house and find snakes all the time blakesnakes, garden snakes and rat snakes are benificial for rodent control and I understand most people are intimadated by them learn your snakes and leave them be. I just caught a 5' black snake the other day and it did latch on to my hand and they do have small sharp teeth that will make you bleed a little but thats about it no fangs but beware of the venomous ones

Falco

Cadet

Def. a watersnake. Used to catch them all the time, they do have an angular shaped head, but a cottonmouth or copperhead have a much more pronounced "triangular" shape.
BTW: Those jaws sure do contain some sharp teeth,, used to catch them by the tail as they went into the rocks, those fers could bite!!

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, after all these answers, how come no one suggested looking at the ID number on it's transom?:eek:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

The latitude of VA is too far north for cottonmouths, however, there may be a few around the southern coastal areas, but I'd be surprised. What part of VA was this guy found?

There may be some nomenclature confusion here. All my life, folks around here have referred to the common water snake as a "moccasin", although not meaning cottonmouth.

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seeing as it has no rattles.....its a cobra!!!!!!!

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go over to www.2coolfishing.net and post make a post in TTMB section. There are some really good snake guys on there and we can't wait to see another snake ID thread. Reading about snakes on 2cool has definately changed my outlook on snakes. I used to kill them all but not any more. I can tell yopu that it is not a copper head, coral snake, rattle snake, but I will not rule out a cotton mouth. Go over and and ask. You will probably have an answer within 5 minutes. Thanks, Steven

ylop

Cadet

hope this works, yep it worked. two photos of the same snake the Australian death adder so don't go by the look in there eye, just give all snakes the space they need, if bitten by the death adder you will have between 1 and 11/2 hours to get the antivenin. most people are bitten while trying to kill them so just leave them be

Paul​

Attachments

• Acanthophis_antarcticus.jpg
    Acanthophis_antarcticus.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • AcaWoo1a.jpg
    AcaWoo1a.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0