Smoking for boating

Re: Smoking for boating

Thats EXACTLY what I did. For my 30th Bday present [to myself] I quit smoking and bought my boat. I crunched the #s and figured I was burning up [pun intended] $1200.00 or so a year on smokes. Found a boat for $5500.00. So within 5 yrs the boat was paid for without any extra out of pocket expense. After that I also quit drinking and put the money towards toys . I have 2 Ski-Doo sno mos, an 2006 Yamaha Grizzly ATV and the boat . All financed with former...sin... money. :DIt helps ya to quit when ya set your eyes on a prize... Good Luck !!! PS I just turned 50 and STILL have that boat. See Signature...;)

wow how ever much did you drink to save that much for toys....:eek:

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reviving this thread to see how everyone is still doing with not smoking? I'm just shy of 22 months now without a cigarette and about 25 lbs heavier.
I still have the boat plus 1:)
You would think after this much time the urge would not be there but, I do have moments when I think a cigarette would work right now. I ignore the thought and move on because it would be such a waste at this point.
Congrats to those who are still staying strong and those who are just starting. To those who started again, don't look at it as failure, it just wasn't time. This was not the first time I ever tried!

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am 10 years after 3 packs a day. Just keep in mind that the "waves of want" get further apart every day. The first try was six months. The second REAL try was for good.

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats on 22 months of healthier lungs!

Splat

Lieutenant

wow how ever much did you drink to save that much for toys....:eek:
Was my first thought as well.

I've quit twice in my life, and I'm still a spring chicken at only 30. Once when I was still in school. I stayed away from them for years, at least habitually. I would still enjoy one maybe 2 during the summer months while out with friends drinking, but that would be it. I hadn't bought a pack in 10 years.

About a year ago I started again. Had lots of family issues going on, combined with everyone down at my camper were smokers. That one or two a year, turned into one or two a night on the weekends while partying with the camp neighbors and just progressed from there.

I recently quit again, about 6weeks ago. I had to get some teeth pulled, and for fear of dry sockets I didn't smoke during the healing process, after the 2 nights of terribkbly vivid dreams during the withdrawal, I figured good a time as any to kick it.

I still look at people smoking and think wow that would taste so good right now, but haven't had one. I don't think the craving ever really goes away.

Bill

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

been off smokes for 10 years here as well. 1st time I quit I made it 1 year. after 10 years I no longer have any cravings for them at all. I bought a camper with the money.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I still look at people smoking and think wow that would taste so good right now, but haven't had one. I don't think the craving ever really goes away.
Yes it does. I quit cold turkey at age 35 when my wife got pregnant with my middle daughter. I have not had the urge to suck on one of those nasty, foul tasting things since. That middle daughter is now a junior at U of MD. :joyous:

Last edited:

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just look at the place in life most people are who still smoke. Is that where you want to be?

kfa4303

Banned

Congrats on quitting!!!!! Boats are a much better waste of money :) I think swapping smoking for boating is just about the best deal y'all could ever make. I smoked for years too, but I had my "ah ha" moment a few years back when I wen to visit my mom in a cancer ward (she's fine now), but that struck me as just about the dumbest thing I could be doing. Once I made my mind up, as with most things, it wasn't very hard at all. The key is to have another hobby/habit to take its place and sounds like y'all made the perfect choice. Kudos!!!!

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm still smoke free and on my second boat. I think cigs really stink now. Never really knew how bad I smelled. I have also filled out some ( 20 lbs.) but it's all good.
Thanks for all the positive comments.

nwcove

Admiral
a few extra pounds is just a good reason to get a bigger boat!! ;) congrats on winning the battle !!!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Congrats. E-cigs got me off them 4 years ago. Good riddance. I quit drinking this year, and I'm amazed at the amount of expendable income I'm accumulating by not throwing money away on junk that's bad for me (let's just say that I had a healthy appetite for beer!). Of course, now it's all going toward fishing gear. A great trade-off I think.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Splat;n6714607 I still look at people smoking and think wow that would taste so good right now said:
I smoked for 40 years, quit cold turkey over 2 years ago - wife still smokes,but I don't preach, because I know how it is...

Twidget

Commander
Congratulations to everyone who quit smoking. Personally, I never have smoked, but have watched my Mom try to quit repeatedly.
Keep up the good work!