Smart Tabs on Larger Boat

Jolie Lynn

Seaman
Re: Smart Tabs on Larger Boat

oops heres the text with the pics :)
Well after lots of looking online and finding close to nothing on installing Smart Tabs on a boat larger than 19 feet bit the bullet and installed them on ours !!! We have a 2001 Maxum 2300 SR bowrider overall length right at 24 feet and weighing about 4200 lbs. Engine is a Merc 5.7 250 HP Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive and 15.5 X 17 aluminum prop. The outdrive had the ******** fins installed. This boat is on the cusp of installing helm adjustable tabs but I know for a fact I don't want to have to monkey around with manual ones constantly for much of what we do (stop and go) and if the wife or kids take the wheel. Mainly lake use and occasional dips in the Intercoastal waterway. This boat really does not have any big issues with the ride but I am trying to do all I can to let the wifey who has a bad back still enjoy boating :) The hopeful results will be an improvement in porposing and crossing other wakes and while trimmed up a little, plane time and being able to cruise at a slower speeds (less engine noise). Top speed and RPM is about 43 to 45 and about 4700 Rmp before tabs and with little fins on drive. I installed Tabs P/N: SX10512-90 and retractor kit P/N PR500. Bought this from Anchor Express for about $175 total. Shipping was super fast and the cheapest. The kit had the wrong tabs in the box but a call into Nauticus in the late afternoon had me the right ones on my door step the next day !!!! The install calls for 3 to 5 inches from outer transom edge so went with 4" Easy install took about an hour and half taking my time and sealing good. I did not use the plastic hardware but bought stainless ones instead. The tabs do seem a little on the flimsy side and the retractor kit tabs flex a little so we will see. Not sure when the trial run will be but hopefully before our vacation at the beach in three weeks !!! I will try to post as many pictures as possible. Thanks and I hope this yields good results and good feedback from anyone else in the same boat ( NO PUN INTENDED :)

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

You mentioned plastic hardware and you switched it with SS. What hardware was plastic that you switched? Also, what does the retractor kit do? I know I can google it but I have tabs on my boat already and am just curious.

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've got the same setup on my four winns 5200lb, 25 ft cuddy, and they are a noticible improvement and should work on any boat. Follow the instructions for getting the correct amount of lift from the tabs. I am guessing that you will need one of the lowest two settings, simply based on weight. I have heard of Nauticus exchanging actuators if they are not the correct pressure. I believe yours are 90psi which might even be too much. Just follow the instructions on their website(http://www.nauticusinc.com/images/SX-INSTALL.gif) for adjusting them and you will be fine.

The retractor kit can turn other models (the full stainless steel models i believe) into trolling brakes. In the setup that we both have, they simply pull the tabs up and out of the way for storage and beaching. I was hoping the SX (black plastic) model would allow for use as trolling brakes, but because of a stop on the hinge, they cannot be delployed fully down.

ice is off friday, i hope...

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

Thanks Shark Bait !! This is exactly what I was trying to see in the great interweb :) Good to hear positive right out of the gate. To answer the above question the hardware replaced was the screws/bolts that attached the tab to the hinge and the actuator to the tab. The original kit comes with more plastic hardware to attach upper actuator to transom.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

have the same set up,,,my boat is actually 21' 6" they work great,,,best of luck

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Jolie Lynn;

I can promise you that the Nylon bolts and nuts will not break, and we would not use them if there was a potential problem. Stainless bolts are not but a few cents more. The reason we use the nylon is to eliminate as much metal in water as possible (electrolysis). On Stainless tabs we can use anodes on the plates to control the corrosion for all of the hardware including the bolts.

As for the flex in the plates - it is by design so that the stress is absorbed not transferred. If you have any questions or need help just call us directly.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have Lenco adjustable tabs on my 254 (26' overall length, 4850lbs dry weight). Having helm adjustability is really nice.

When my wife and daughter are sitting port side in the bow I can get some noticeable list to port side at cruising speed, and a couple of taps on the starboard side of the controller evens things right out.

Also, being able to go full bow down on both really helps smooth the ride in the chop.

Fully retracting them results in about 2mph of speed increase for a given throttle position, so nice to be able to tuck them up when not needed.

Jolie Lynn

Seaman

BUY THEM they work great!! The lake was calm with me and quarter tank trimmed up saw 4600 RPM at 45.5 Gps. Probably had a little left but ran out of lake :) I was on plane before 20 mph and was able to maintain 20 mph at 2400 rpm quiet on plane and tracked perfectly straight. Hard throttle from stop had much less bow rise. I could feel the nose wanting to keep down just enough to keep level flight and even while cruising no wake at 950 rpm and 8 mph. The steering is a little more accurate. With the mounting four inches from the side transom that was recommended I was able to reach down in the water to deploy them from the retract position easily (forgot to do that after she was in :) Will have to go to the bigger lake and see how she does with more people, gas, rougher water and tubing the kiddos. I will be attaching a picture of them in the water. I was happy enough with the middle recommended position that maybe someday will see what the other positions do. The directions call for a WOT run with a gain in speed. It did that among other things.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Very happy that you are happy! Make sure you trim up once your are at cruising speeds. This will give you the best speed at any given RPM and the best fuel economy.

In a chop you will be able to run a a slower more comfortable speed and remain on plain.

Thanks for the feed back.