Smart tabs on 23 foot boat

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would smart tabs work on a 23 foot caravelle interceptor with a 250 hp motor or is it too big for the largest tabs?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Smart tabs on 23 foot boat

Use the ST1290-80. Should make a world of difference in handling as well as planing.

tprice

Seaman Apprentice

I think they will work ok. I saw an episode on Ship Shape TV and they work fine until the boat was in reverse and it made backing a problem.<br /><br />I would prefer to have something I could adjust myself to suit my needs but to answer you question they work fine.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

tprice;<br /><br />I have a complete video copy of the Ship Shape TV show which featured the Smart Tabs. I would be happy to send you a copy. There is no mention of a reverse problem, and infact it is not a problem since the tab deployment at slow speeds is only 3". Just as a matter of information I was the other John in the segment.<br /><br />If the tabs are installed incorrectly and the deployment angle is significantly more than the recommended 25 degrees, both forward and reverse would have problems. This is why we include a template for the deployment angle.

BillP

Captain

I watched that show this past weekend. John G. didn't mention backing down, or for that matter anything else about the tabs except installation. He said something like "you may have something here" and that was it. I wanted more info.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

BillP;<br /><br />We would be pleased to provide you with as much information, test reports, and a video if you simply give us a call. 800-233-0194

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading this entire thread, I'm wondering if my hydrofoil is the cause of my boat tilting to the port side when crusing on plane. The entire boat just LEANS to the port side, even if I have all my weight on the starboard side.<br /><br />I just bought this boat used, and noticed that the starboard corner of the hydrofoil wing is broken off. Maybe .5 -1" of it. Nothing major, but I'm sure it could be a good cause of the problem.<br /><br />I'll take the wing off before I dump the boat back in the water to see what happens.<br /><br />Sound like a good idea?<br /><br />~Phil

D

DJ

Lose the engine fin and put on the tabs.<br /><br />Problem solved.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

DrPhil;<br /><br />Adding additional lift to the center of the boat is like tring to balance the boat on the keel. Like a teeter totter. <br /><br />In addition the hydrofoil will produce more lift with speed, and tend to drive the bow down. <br /><br />Combining these two will exagerate the torq List.<br /><br />The List will either be reduced when you remove the foil or eliminated totaly. <br /><br />Getting the boat up on plane will be more difficult without the additional planing surface.<br /><br />If the list is not gone then you will have too reasons to add Smart Tabs, planing and eliminating the list the other reasons will become apparent after you use them for the first time.<br /><br />Read some of the other postes on Smart Tabs, or contact us for a free booklet on boat balance and performance.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Agree. A foil on that size/style of boat is bound to induce handling problems.

wgander

Cadet

I'm happily using a hydrofoil: gets me on plane and keeps me there at the slower wakeboarding speeds my grandchildren like. I also do a lot of slow cruising at less than plane speed, and often add just enough power to get the bow to come up a bit to avoid water over the bow when crossing wakes. On smooth water at higher speeds, I trim up to stay on plane, so the bow doesn't dig in.<br />Would SmartTabs work under these different conditions?

rwidman

Lieutenant

We had Smart Tabs on a previous boat and they were great. No problem backing. We now have a much larger boat that came equipped with a different brand of tabs (adjustable). The Smart Tabs require no user intervention once installed and adjusted. They get the boat on plane sooner and allow you to maintain plane at a lower speed. They also help with "bow wander" at no wake speeds.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Bill;<br /><br />Cruising at slow speeds should be on plane as well. The thing you are most likely experiencing at cruising speeds now is that the bow is pushed down with the hydrofoil. This will no happen with Smart Tabs, as they can be adjusted.<br /><br />You should be able to cruise a 15 mph with the tabs and stay on plane.<br /><br />Keep in mind that they are constantly active, like the suspension system on your car.<br /><br />If you think your happy with the foil, "you ain't seen nothin yet".

billbro68

Cadet

Hi NautiJohn, I'm enterested in your Smart Tabs. Why? Not sure, I have no problem getting on plane but must admit steering at "no wake" speeds and getting into slip is a problem. Don't seem to have a lot of control with steering.Could the Smart Tabs improve on this? Bill in TN

billbro68

Cadet

Sorry, forgot to ID boat. It's a 22.5 ft cuddy, 198 hp mercruiser. BB

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I am sold and will be getting a set as soon as<br />I get a few extra bucks. boat is a 22' starcraft<br />islander with a raised cuddy. at low/non-planing<br />speed, the raised cuddy creates a vision prob.<br />smart tabs will keep her closer to plane in "all"<br />circumstances.<br />MY .02