Smart Tab on the List

kmhattrk

Cadet
I installed the SX-80's on my 22' Deckboat. They are such a great product, but I had noticed since installing them that I am listing to the port while underway. The tabs are in the middle position, and the problem seems to eventually work its way out. But the list is very very noticeable. Anybody have this happen to them. And NO, I don't have any weighed items that have shifted in my boat. (I know the question is coming) My thoughts are that 1 of the the 80# actuators are acting more like 40# or 60#. Your thoughts please......:rolleyes: Once the problem works its way out, I have noticed tremendous improvements in my boat. NO SLOW SPEED WONDER - ON PLANE IN A SNAP - STAYS ON PLANE LONGER. GREAT PRODUCT...:)

nlain

Commander
Re: Smart Tab on the List

Never had a list problem after tabs installed, I have the Stainless Steel version and in my case 60# actuators, have definitely reaped all of the benefits. I would call John and ask him. Explain the problem and I feel sure he can help you out.

Telephone # 800-233-0194

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Ditto - call John he has always been very helpfull, and willing to stick with it until a solution is found.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The list to port is most often caused by excessive stern lift. This may be because the tabs pressure is set to high. If you are in hole setting #3 then move to #2 or #1. The other thing that can add to the problem is motor trim. If the trim is too far down then the prop is lifting the stern. Trim out.
The third thing would be a Hydrofoil mounted to the antiventilation plate above the prop. If so remove it.

Using one heavier Actuator on one side and a lighter one on the other is not advised unless absolutely necessary. First determine the cause of the problem then make the corrections.

I have Smart Tabs on my 18 ft flats boat, and I notice an unbalanced trim at the highest speeds only. I have a single outboard (90 hp Honda). I attribute the phenomena to propeller torque, which at high speed overpowers the Smart Tabs.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

kmhttrk;

Increase the pressure on the port side a little and reduce it on the starboard side then the boat should run level at any speed.

LubeDude

Admiral

kmhttrk;

Increase the pressure on the port side a little and reduce it on the starboard side then the boat should run level at any speed.

I had to do this on my Stratos Bass boat and set them softer also. Between this and triming sooner solved the problem. I also found that with the tabs that you do not have to have the engine tucked under quite as far on initial takeoff which also helped.