smart tab help

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok Im thinking of getting a set of smart tabs. what are the pros/cons of the stainless vs composite. I like the looks of the stainless but if the composites give the exact performance I could really use the difference in price on something else.
Thanks
Jimmy

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: smart tab help

Jimmy,
Just a guess here, making one comparison to another.
I would assume, similar to comparing stainless steel propellers to aluminum, that the composite might have a tendency to ever so slightly 'flex' under severe load changes whereas the stainless steel would not. Secondly, if the composites were continely exposed to direct sunlight, UV radiation may take a toll.
Personally, I have a pair of the composites on my V-20 and there is NO way you're ever gonna get 'em off! I'm still more than pleased with them after several seasons. :):):)
FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replys guys. Anyone bought the blemished composites from iboats? Whats wrong woth them? a scratch maybe?

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you are desperate for a response, I will offer you my assumption of what you would get as "blemished", or rather, not get...I assume they would not sell any with damage that would have the possibility of altering or degrading the intended performance of the tabs. Whether they are scratched, nicked, off-color, etc., you should still get a set of tabs that, although cosmetically blemished, perform as intended. Just my somewhat educated assumption. I cannot imagine a company selling a product with a known defect that was likely to cause unintended or degraded performance (safety / liability issue). I could be wrong, and probably am if you ask my wife.

MRS

Commander

Me, personally I am going to put on smart tabs but they will be stainless. I just do not want plastic or composites to me I have always had better luck with metal products. I like to do things once and be done with it...

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Since you are desperate for a response, I will offer you my assumption of what you would get as "blemished", or rather, not get...I assume they would not sell any with damage that would have the possibility of altering or degrading the intended performance of the tabs. Whether they are scratched, nicked, off-color, etc., you should still get a set of tabs that, although cosmetically blemished, perform as intended. Just my somewhat educated assumption. I cannot imagine a company selling a product with a known defect that was likely to cause unintended or degraded performance (safety / liability issue). I could be wrong, and probably am if you ask my wife.

i would have to assume you are right. i cant imagine anything other than cosemetic blems.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the replys guys. Anyone bought the blemished composites from iboats? Whats wrong woth them? a scratch maybe?

Why not just call John at Nauticus and ASK him!?!?!?!
(Nauticus Inc. 8080 Snowville Rd. Brecksville, Ohio 44141 800-233-0194 info@nauticusinc.com )
Ed in 'ol Virginny