small used outboard prices

waldron 1

Seaman Apprentice
shopping for a 15 hp 2cycle.what should i expect to pay for one that ran fine 10 to 15 years ago and has been sitting in the garage since that time.i can expect to rebuild carb and pump.looking for a ballpark figure.thanks!

pod184

Cadet
Re: small used outboard prices

The devil is in the details, as they say.<br /><br />What brand and what vintage(year) is this outboard?<br /><br />Why was it not run for 10 years?<br /><br />Was it fogged or otherwise prepped for long term storage? Is the engine even loose?<br /><br />When I hear "10-15 years" I assume that to mean 15+ years. People seem to tend to estimate low on things like this.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Even a wild guess would be just that. It may be junk or a jewel that has just a healthy cover of dust. If it is basically sound it can be brought back in service (all of which you can do yourself) and be as reliable as one fresh out of the box.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Offer them another $50 if you can have a "return" policy. then try it out. <br /><br />If it's crap... it'll be worth the $50 to find out.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

New outboards are very expensive, and that usually means that used motors that are in good condition and have been well-maintained don't come cheap. A new 15 hp might run $1900 (Ed's marine price). Few years old in good condition will probably still be up around $1000. I would be suspicious of an asking price of less than $400-500 for a 10 year old model suposedly in good condition.<br /><br />You wanted ballpark. I am not an expert, but I do track outboard prices....