Small oil leak, and Milky bilge

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

First off I wanna say that I am upset that I could not take the boat out one last time this year. I was trying to, but the opportunity never came up. So, as she sits now, I am waiting to get the winterizing done. I need the next paycheck to roll through. Hoping that the cold stuff stays away till after that. I just put the drive down, and got the water outta the outdrive. I am wondering if this will be ok till I can get the job done?

Second part. While doing this, I found a oil puddle on the driveway. I stuck my finger in the drain hole, get some oil. So, I went searching. I found that the Oil drain tube (1979 OMC 140HP) goes down to the edge of the oil pan. I couldnt tell if it was the tube connection, the pan hole plug, or the pan that is leaking, but its right in that area. I cleaned all this up the best that I could, so to see what the problem is later. After I wiped the oil pan down, I wiped the bottom of the bilge the best I could, and I also tryed to clean up the drain hole a little bit. When I put the rag into the drain hole, I pulled out oil(of course) and some milky ****. The dip stick does not show any milky-ness on it, I only found it in the bilge. Do you guys think that its ok? Just meeting in the bilge area to make the milk?

The shop says they will take a look and take care of any "small" issues with the leak. But I cant wait that long without any information.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Small oil leak, and Milky bilge

Hey guys,

First off I wanna say that I am upset that I could not take the boat out one last time this year. I was trying to, but the opportunity never came up. So, as she sits now, I am waiting to get the winterizing done. I need the next paycheck to roll through. Hoping that the cold stuff stays away till after that. I just put the drive down, and got the water outta the outdrive. I am wondering if this will be ok till I can get the job done?

Second part. While doing this, I found a oil puddle on the driveway. I stuck my finger in the drain hole, get some oil. So, I went searching. I found that the Oil drain tube (1979 OMC 140HP) goes down to the edge of the oil pan. I couldnt tell if it was the tube connection, the pan hole plug, or the pan that is leaking, but its right in that area. I cleaned all this up the best that I could, so to see what the problem is later. After I wiped the oil pan down, I wiped the bottom of the bilge the best I could, and I also tryed to clean up the drain hole a little bit. When I put the rag into the drain hole, I pulled out oil(of course) and some milky ****. The dip stick does not show any milky-ness on it, I only found it in the bilge. Do you guys think that its ok? Just meeting in the bilge area to make the milk?

The shop says they will take a look and take care of any "small" issues with the leak. But I cant wait that long without any information.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ayuh,.... It'll cost ya Nothin' to go pull the 2 or 3 drains on yer motor, 'n Drain it....
Don't forget the Big hose on the circulating waterpump, it'll be hidin' a quart or so...

Yer oil leak is hard to say, oil, like water flows downhill...
Look higher til ya Don't see oil, yer leak is Just below that point...
'n, Ya, oil will milk up with bilge water...

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... It'll cost ya Nothin' to go pull the 2 or 3 drains on yer motor, 'n Drain it....
Don't forget the Big hose on the circulating waterpump, it'll be hidin' a quart or so...

Yer oil leak is hard to say, oil, like water flows downhill...
Look higher til ya Don't see oil, yer leak is Just below that point...
'n, Ya, oil will milk up with bilge water...

Thanks Bond-o.
I have looked through the book, and it does not show anything about engine drains. Would you happen to know of a picture of them?

I woke up today to find that there is frost on the ground:mad: Now I am starting to freak out. I dont think that it has gotten below freezing, but I think that I may have to hurt someone if I have F-ed my boat. ARRGGGG

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A light frost on the ground won't be enough to freeze a block solid. Theres a lot of mass there to have to freeze.

There should be a petcock (or simple drain plug) on the port side of the block along the bottom of the water jacket, and another petcock on the underside of the exhaust manifold. Don't forget to disconnect and drain the water from all cooling system hoses as well.

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you Bridar.

I got those open just now, not so much came out of the exhaust, but the water jacket drained out strong for about 5 minutes. I am leaving it open for a little bit, to get out the drops. then I will close them back up for the night. I think that I will be able to get her winterized early this week. I am hopeful to get her to the shop on monday. They say it maybe a day before they can get it done. Basically, I will have to wait in line. I think with the quart or two that just came outta the water jacket, I will be good for a few more nights.

Thanks again guys!!