Small Cruiser Stereo Upgrade

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
So my 'New to Me' Doral 270 SC has a single DIN head unit below with a wired round remote in the dash. There are a pair of speakers below and another pair outside. Lets leave the speakers out of this discussion for now. I would like multiple zone control which I have discovered certain brands claim to have - but it is really just different sound levels for each area - in my mind a glorified balance. Has anyone just simply installed two separate radios - one above and one below - so some one can hear totally different stuff in either place? It seems it would be relatively easy. Power, antenna and speakers are already wired to the head unit below. There is already room for a round head unit above (where the remote is located) and I can get power from the dash and it is easy enough to run an antenna and get speaker wire there from the speaker locations that exist. Am I crazy since it is not a big boat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can, however you will have clashing music because its not a big boat which would get annoying. see for your self, use a bluetooth speaker and place it in the cabin, then see how each "zone" has to listen to two different songs

on my boat, I have the cabin speakers running direct off the radio and the cockpit speakers running off the amp. when we are in the cabin, I merely flip a switch to turn off the amp. that way when anchored at night, I dont have loud music from the cockpit keeping the neighbors awake.