Sludge

Hello,

What causes a chocolate milk layer of sludge to form in standing water under the engine? Also I had antifreeze in 2 liter bottles on the boat. They also developed a layer of sludge. What causes this?

Thanks

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sludge

Hello,

What causes a chocolate milk layer of sludge to form in standing water under the engine? Also I had antifreeze in 2 liter bottles on the boat. They also developed a layer of sludge. What causes this?

Thanks

Not something you're gonna want to hear about, Im assuming its a Merc 170/470

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oil, water, a bit of antifreeze, some soap from washing the deck = instant mess.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Oil, water, a bit of antifreeze, some soap from washing the deck = instant mess.

What would worry me is where the anti-freeze and oil were coming from. Just mentioning antifreeze likely means its a 470 doesn't it?

It's a Volvo 225D/280 outdrive. I removed a heat exchanger and puimped all the water out of the bildge. It rained for 5 days. When I returned there was a layer of sludge on the water. Also there was sludge in the pop/soda bottles that I put the anti-freeze in to re-use. It was green when it was removed.

Currently I am in courtcase with a fraud boat mech. I have my supicions that he sludged me...but how?

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

It's a Volvo 225D/280 outdrive. I removed a heat exchanger and puimped all the water out of the bildge. It rained for 5 days. When I returned there was a layer of sludge on the water. Also there was sludge in the pop/soda bottles that I put the anti-freeze in to re-use. It was green when it was removed.

Currently I am in courtcase with a fraud boat mech. I have my supicions that he sludged me...but how?

Ha ha maybe he did. So you drained the water out of the bilge, didnt drive it for 5 days, during which it rained, and now you're all sludgy? How much sludge we talking?

How much sludge we talking?

The sludge is about an inch thick on top the water. It coats my whole arm when reaching to the bottom of the boat. There is also a thin layer of slime or muck on the very bottom.:facepalm:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I may be wrong, but it sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

NYBo

Admiral

It's from oil. The question is whether or not it is getting replenished from somewhere. Have you checked the engine oil lately? Is there a reservoir for the outdrive trim oil in the engine compartment?

Be sure to take pictures of the mess in case it is relevant to your court case.