Slow to crank over (2001 sea ray 180)

Ciscovet

Seaman
Hey guys,
Thanks in advance for your help. So yesterday I figured i would go and take my boat out because it has been at least 1-2 months. I had them put it up on the rails to do some cleaning. I figured I would start it up and get it warmed up. Now I have a two battery setup with a switch. The switch was in the off position. So I turned the switch and turned to key and to my astonishment the engine barely turned over almost like it was a dead battery. So I played around with the switch first to 1, 2, and then all again. Each time it seemed like the engine turned over better and faster. Finally the engine turned over enough to start. I am a little puzzled by this and I am unsure if its the starter, battery or both. I did finish cleaning the boat, got it put in the water and took it out. It ran great and started each time. I did get the feeling that at the end the starter did not turn over as robustly as normal. Any ideas on what to check? There is some oxidation on the starter as well. Also my blower took a dump and is not working.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Slow to crank over (2001 sea ray 180)

Howdy,

Well slow cranking can be a number of things like a dead battery, bad starter, bad battery/solenoid/starter connections.

It can also be a bad riser gasket or riser/manifold(s) which can allow a small amount of water to run back into an open exhaust valve (after shutdown)

This (depending on how much water actually gets in a combustion chamber) can cause a hydrolock. If it's only a tiny bit of water it'll seem like the battery is dead and cannot turn the engine over at all or can barely turn it.

I'll assume that you made sure that your battery is either charged or you jumped it. If you pull plugs and make sure you do not have ANY water in the cyls, then I would check all battery, solenoid, starter connections including all grounds. When you crank the engine, put your finger on the connectors and see if they're warm to the touch. If they are, they're either loose or corroded and are introducing some resistance in the circuit (hence the heat)

If the solenoid is warm, the contacts might be burned (worn) internally and are also introducing some resistance.

You also might just need a starter. (They do wear out!)

Cheers,

Rick

Ciscovet

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. Today I had the marina load test the batteries and they said that they were a little low but ok. They also said that the starter began to smoke so I guess I need a new starter. I want to buy my own and idea on the part number?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the reply. Today I had the marina load test the batteries and they said that they were a little low but ok. They also said that the starter began to smoke so I guess I need a new starter. I want to buy my own and idea on the part number?

Ayuh,... I'd sooner think it's the wirin' connections that are doin' the smokin',...

You've got a bunch of corroded wirin' ends in yer battery system, by the sounds,...

Flippin' the switch, 'n it gettin' Better power, says the switch, 'n it's wirin' has corroded ends...

I'd start at the battery terminals, 'n remove, sand, clean, 'n reinstall each connection, 'tween the battery, 'n the starter....

Includin' the Ground path...

Slather some Grease on 'em after, 'n it'll slow future corrosion...

Ciscovet

Seaman

Thanks, that actually makes sense. I did notice that the starter was really corroded. Its the only part on the engine that looks that way. Any way to correct that? Paint it?