slow in-gear speed on a 9.8HP TOHATSU

pvanv

Admiral
Re: slow in-gear speed on a 9.8HP TOHATSU

The carb base gaskets can go on dry. One each side of the thermal spacer.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

sorry.. i meant the one around float chamber

pvanv

Admiral

The bowl gasket is an o-ring, and can go in dry as well.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

The other thing I see in the manual is the main nozzle.. it unscrews on top and that comes out with a rubber o ring around it but I didnt take that jet out because there wasnt a screw cap on it.. i dont believe and didnt look like that piece came out but in the book it clearly should so I will look again. A repair shop here said thats the piece that will be clogged and soaking won't help it. I might just either take the carb in or just buy a new one if I cant get it tonight.

pvanv

Admiral

As I said in response 19, "Make sure that you completely disassembled every bit - emulsion tube, jets, etc. " The "main nozzle" is an emulsion tube. It needs to come out.

pvanv

Admiral

After you unscrew the jet, the tube drops out. You may have to persuade it by tapping the carb body on a soft piece of wood.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

Took a bit of a push but it came out and was cleaned and put back in and same results. A shop here will charge $85 to clean it or $200 for a new one so I might as well just buy a new one and hope thats the issue.

pvanv

Admiral

The part you need is 3V2031002M CARBURETOR, F9.8A2/A3 (F) $171.12

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

why dont i try to soak-n-blast it out one more time and its its a no go i'll order it from you Paul.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

tried again but same results.. although it started to sound better and for about 30 seconds started to run a bit. Normally it will get up between 17-20mph but is running now around 4mph but got up to 8 for a bit.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

One other thing is that when you are setting the throttle that its not reaching the full pen throttle.. which is how it was set when I got it. If I set it like paul suggested or by the repair manual and even though the idle adj is backed off when you start it the rpms are way too high. If you push back the stop on throttle bar at all to where the idle is ok it won't come close to full open.

pvanv

Admiral

Something is way wrong. You should be able to operate the carb from idle to WOT without the throttle rod even attached. When the carb itself is at idle (and the choke off), then, confirming that the tiller is set all the way to idle, you connect the link rod, leaving a little slack in the eye, and snug down the screw. Maybe it's time to seek the services of your dealer.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

I believe i can operate it it without the rod and maybe the cables from the tiller slipped or something but if I set it at idle and connect bar then it wont reach wot and vise-versa. I would have already taken it in but its on a dock and a ramp is a few miles away and a bit scared to make the journey to get it out.

pvanv

Admiral

Very weird. You could possibly have a damaged cable, but not one that slipped. They have swaged-on ends that engage the spools at both ends. If you need to limp in, set the throttle so that you can idle, and then motor along at less than WOT.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

There is a spring that should return the throttle to idle and one end of it goes into a hole in carb...
I was setting the other end of this spring in front of the metal tab but it looks like it isnt pushing the throttle bar back to idle all the way which could be at least part of the issue where its idling too high if the bar is set to hit WOT. I can't see in any of the diagrams how this spring should actually be installed.. just in case I have it wrong.

pvanv

Admiral

OK... you officially don't know what you are doing, and a dealer's assistance is called for. That return spring is not normally removed in the field, because the hard bits of the linkage aren't normally removed in the field. If you haven't damaged the spring and linkage, it can probably be reset; otherwise, it's time for a new carb.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

Well ya... if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be asking for help ;)

I didnt remove it in the field.. that part comes off when you disassemble to carb to put in cleaner so it has to come off. I just figured the manual would show how it went back on but none of them do. Luckily I took pix with iphone as I took stuff apart and in one photo I could tell in the shadow was my answer so with the magic of photoshop I was able to see how it goes.

I'll get it on boat and try again tonight.

pvanv

Admiral

That's all well and good, and hopefully you can get it back together correctly. However, if the internal passages are still varnished, you will yet need to either complete cleaning it, or replace it with a new carb.

daveznspace

Seaman Apprentice

Its getting better. got the spring in right and it snaps back to idle good and I can hit all the way to WOT (with rod). That took boat from 4mph to 7mph so i still need more cleaning or a new one but its better.