Slow Cranking '86 125hp

tony4pyro

Cadet
I have a 1986 Force 125hp. The engine is cranking over very slow, almost like the battery is dead. I checked the battery and it has 12V. I tested the voltage (bear with me, I am no electrical expert) where the battery cables come into the engine compartment. (A little round, black box that the juice passes thru to get to the starter-I do not know what this part is). I have 12V there, which leads me to believe the battery cables are fine, but when I had my son hit the key and I tested right on the starter terminals, we only had 4-5V. What is the problem? Is it the starter or the little black box that the current passes thru? Somebody please help me because I am a little electrically illiterate when it comes to outboards. Is the little black box the starter relay?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Slow Cranking '86 125hp

A fully charged 12 volt battery should be close to 13 volts.
That said clean and check all connections especially the grounds.
a bad connection can read full voltage yet not be able to conduct any real current.You can take jumper cables connect to a good ground n the block then carefully touch the positive cable to the terminal on the starter.
should spin over good.let us know what you find.

tony4pyro

Cadet

OK- I ran a direct lead to the starter and it still cranks over slow. Does that mean that the starter is bad? If so, is there anything that would cause it to go bad, because the people I bought it from said that the starter is new? (I suppose they could have been lying, but if they were telling the truth, could something be frying the starter prematurely?) I know sometimes you can get a defective electrical part, but what are the odds of that?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Starter could be bad.Does the motor seem free.Did you jump the ground side as well?Did you try a known good battery.If you can get a good grip on the flywheel you should be able to move it a little. Does the starter seem to be generating a lot of heat?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The FIRST !!!!!!!! thing to do is remove the plugs and see how fast it turns over. If it turns over the same the starter might need to be cleaned.
If it turns fast then do a compression test.Post these results.How old is the starter?
The little black box is a solenoid.It's function is to allow voltage thru to the starter when you turn the key.Un-hook the power cable at the starter,then measure the voltage there.It should read the same as the battery.Jerry

tony4pyro

Cadet

Hey guys-Thanks for all the help. Found the problem--brand new battery was defective. Thanks to my neighbor who had a battery load tester and a different battery to try, we found this problem.