sloppy steering???

lillbush

Seaman
I have a 1986 bayliner with a AQ 225E and a Volvo Penta 275 Outdrive. The steering is very sloppy. It has a rack and pinion system on it. With the drive down I have about a inch to a inch and a half of play in the lower unit. And when I am driving I am constantly turning the wheel back and forth to keep the boat straight. Are there bushings or adjustments I can make to get it tight agian? It is starting to make me angry!

captmello

Captain
Re: sloppy steering???

I have a 1986 bayliner with a AQ 225E and a Volvo Penta 275 Outdrive. The steering is very sloppy. It has a rack and pinion system on it. With the drive down I have about a inch to a inch and a half of play in the lower unit. And when I am driving I am constantly turning the wheel back and forth to keep the boat straight. Are there bushings or adjustments I can make to get it tight agian? It is starting to make me angry!

The back and forth movement is normal at slow speeds. Is that your problem? My boat does that as well. have to give the boat a chance to come back the other direction before overcorrecting at the wheel.:)

lillbush

Seaman

The back and forth movement is normal at slow speeds. Is that your problem? My boat does that as well. have to give the boat a chance to come back the other direction before overcorrecting at the wheel.:)

Well I have driven my uncles boat and his isnt like this. It just seems like I am moving the wheel alot. And also when I get going it pulls one way or the other. I have a new prop on it so I know it isnt the prop making it pull it is just very very sloppy! Like I said I dont know if there are bushings or something that is wore out the boat is 23 yrs old so I am sure somthing is wore out.

captmello

Captain

Hmmm... Well I just went to check my outdrive. The play on mine seems to be at the helmet pin and the shaft off the steering yoke that goes up through the transum. I don't know if those should be tighter or not.

I do think the hull design can make a difference and I've heard trim/smart tabs can help with the slow speed wandering as well. I had an older boat with a 4 cylinder volvo and 270 outdrive that didn't wander as badly as mine does now.

Maybe someone else will give us the final answer.:rolleyes:

Did you get your overheat issue worked out?

lillbush

Seaman

Hmmm... Well I just went to check my outdrive. The play on mine seems to be at the helmet pin and the shaft off the steering yoke that goes up through the transum. I don't know if those should be tighter or not.

I do think the hull design can make a difference and I've heard trim/smart tabs can help with the slow speed wandering as well. I had an older boat with a 4 cylinder volvo and 270 outdrive that didn't wander as badly as mine does now.

Maybe someone else will give us the final answer.:rolleyes:

Did you get your overheat issue worked out?

yes thats where my play is too! The helmet and shaft that goes through the transum. I just cant see how that is normal but I have been wrong before. hahaha Yes I got the overheating issue fixed put a new stat in it and and cleaned out the line there where chunks of the old impeller everwhere so she is all good and cool now THANKS!