Slightly annoying issue with my Johnson

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 97 Johnson 130 that was purchased as a rebuild. Everything works fantastic, starts right up, runs with no issues, goes the whole day strong. For some reason, only when I'm at the dock and going to trailer it, it just likes to stall at low idle speed pulling up to the trailer. It starts right back up and hasn't caused me any issues getting the boat on the trailer, but it seems like the only time it does this is when I am at the dock. I can an have run at low idle speed out on the water without any issues. It only happens at the dock. What gives :confused:

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Slightly annoying issue with my Johnson

Have you run at the same, low idle speen you refer to while at the dock while out on the water? It only takes a hair of difference in the lever to be the difference between enough to not stall and enough to stall. My thought would be idle adjustment on the cable for the throttle, and it wouldn't take much. Is the ramp in an area where you have had to idle a ways to get to it? Could be loading the cylinders up with the unburned oil as well. Mine does this, and when I shut it off a nasty trail of black gunk always works its way down the shaft while I trailer it home. It's gross looking, and will only "leak" like that when trailered in the tilted position, which I do.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you run at the same, low idle speen you refer to while at the dock while out on the water? It only takes a hair of difference in the lever to be the difference between enough to not stall and enough to stall. My thought would be idle adjustment on the cable for the throttle, and it wouldn't take much. Is the ramp in an area where you have had to idle a ways to get to it? Could be loading the cylinders up with the unburned oil as well. Mine does this, and when I shut it off a nasty trail of black gunk always works its way down the shaft while I trailer it home. It's gross looking, and will only "leak" like that when trailered in the tilted position, which I do.

Yes, I've literally run at dead idle crawling along for quite some time out on the water and never stalled. It only seems to happen at the dock which is why I'm left scratching my head. I literally back off the dock, point to the trailer on the ramp about 60' away and idle forward. It will almost always stall at least once, sometimes twice within that 60'. It restartsd immediately. There's usually alot of seaweed at the dock, which is the only environmental difference between idling at sea vs. the dock. I'm guessing that maybe it's clogging up in the prop exhaust causing the stalls. :confused:

Also, never had any unburned oil leaking out from the prop or upper exhaust ports. When I tell you the thing runs perfect and clean, I mean it's perfect and clean. The dock is the only issue I have with it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It sounds to me like you need to set up your idle, or adjust you low speed jet.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It just doesn't wanna go home and it's stalling to stay on the water just a lil longer. :D :D :D:rolleyes: