Sleeping 1989 Yamaha 200hp

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just acquired a 1989 Tiara Pursuit that has a Yamaha 200hp with 384 original hours. The original owner told me he fogged the Cylinders 7-8 yrs ago when he parked it. He also drained the fuel cell. Well It's time to wake it up! A few questions I have are: #1) should I rebuild the carbs before firing it off? #2) should I shoot some type of lube into the cylinders as it sits and let it soak or should I go to the great lenghts of unmounting the motor to lay it down so the pistons are up down while shooting with lube? #3) should I just replace the oil pump now? I just saw the same year parts motor on CL burnt up because of pump failure and I don't want that to happen to this one.

Anything else I should do? Im Planning on doing sparkplugs and lowerunit oil, water pump.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the motor is free and turns, no need to unmount the motor.- That's only for seized motors. Squirting some TCW 3 in the spark plug holes will help prevent a dry start, rotate the motor over a few times to lube the rings and cylinder walls after squirting. And check compression.

Rebuilding the carbs is probably a good idea after sitting all that time since gaskets and the like could have dried out. I would see if she runs first because doing the carbs right off the bat because that could make it hard to start and lead you down a stray path. Get her running, even if badly for a short test and then do the carb rebuild.

I don't have experience on this motor, so won't comment on the oil pump. The plugs, lower unit lube and impeller renew are the right way to start.

Good luck getting her purring, fairshopper.

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the motor is free and turns, no need to unmount the motor.- That's only for seized motors. Squirting some TCW 3 in the spark plug holes will help prevent a dry start, rotate the motor over a few times to lube the rings and cylinder walls after squirting. And check compression.

Rebuilding the carbs is probably a good idea after sitting all that time since gaskets and the like could have dried out. I would see if she runs first because doing the carbs right off the bat because that could make it hard to start and lead you down a stray path. Get her running, even if badly for a short test and then do the carb rebuild.

I don't have experience on this motor, so won't comment on the oil pump. The plugs, lower unit lube and impeller renew are the right way to start.

Good luck getting her purring, fairshopper.

Thanks for the reply, when you say rotate the motor over are you talking by hand or by the ignition key?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Rotate by hand. Pull the spark plugs and turn the flywheel after squirting some oil in the hole. What this does is lube the rings and cylinder walls so they aren't dry when you do begin to use the starter and fuel hasn't made it to through the motor.