Skiing behind Scarab Jet Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjr5253

Recruit
Hey guys
I posted a while back about skiing behind a v6 I/O mercruiser. I'm switching gears now and thinking of getting a scarab 215 ID. I'm used to the jet boats anyways as that's what I have (1980's jet boat with a 350 sbc). I was thinking about getting the twin 300 HP
I was wondering if anyone had any experience skiing behind a scarab? How's the wake? How is the pulling power? How are the twin 300's vs the twin 230 HP motor?
I'm just Looking to free ski on the river. No courses or anything like that. We are all 6'6" and ski fairly aggressive (one handed cuts, etc), so pulling power is one thing I'm concerned about

Thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It's a big boat, and being heavy, it needs a lot of power to move, and it makes a pretty big Wake. Hopefully the Water discharged, doesn't hit you when being towed

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I haven't skiied behind that boat but I think you are going to find the wake choppy. When I ski behind a jet ski the jet wash makes it pretty rough, and that is a much smaller wake. If I were u I would ski behind it first.

Are you buying new ? I would definitely get the most hp offered

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't ski but my sister does. She skied behind a Yamaha jet after always being behind prop boats. She didn't like it. Saud the water felt "soft" like it wasn't as bouant. I'm guessing it was the areation.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
One would think that the Water behind a Prop Boat would be less solid due to the Turbulence from the Gearcase, the Prop Blades, and from the Engine Exhaust rising up.
The Water behind a jet hull should be more Solid as none of those Items exist on a Jet system

alex666nder

Cadet
Never skied behind a scarab. Actually, I've only been skiing a couple of times. It's a big boat, and it will create a big wake. The dual 300 HP will provide better top speed and acceleration compared to 230.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
One would think that the Water behind a Prop Boat would be less solid due to the Turbulence from the Gearcase, the Prop Blades, and from the Engine Exhaust rising up.
The Water behind a jet hull should be more Solid as none of those Items exist on a Jet system
its actually the opposite. which is why most ski boats are a pure inboard with a rudder. to minimize the aeration of the water.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Probably should be known that we aren’t talking about a scarab of the traditionally known type, I’d be sure.
If I’m right, it’s one of the seadoo mass produced things, that someone threw scarab branding on. Powered by twin seadoo 3 cylinder jet ski engines.

I’m not sure how they would get on really. I’d imagine that they might be easily influenced off track, by your average guy, when cutting a turn on a mono. There’s literally only inches of the hull in the water, when on plane. Especially at mono ski speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.