size of lower unit oil drain/fill hole

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a hand pump with a plastic tube connected to a threaded end that I have used on my Johnson and Evinrude 9.9 hp engines to pump in lower unit lubrication. I now have a 1990 9.9 hp Yamaha and find the hole is a different size - metric no doubt. This hand pump screws into the top of the 16 oz bottle of lubricant.

Can anyone tell me what that hole size is? I purchased the OMC oil hand pump at Walmart, might I also find they have one for metric built engines... or am I just all thumbs and they are in fact all the same "standard" size (good luck on that idea).

Thanks,

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: size of lower unit oil drain/fill hole

West Marine sells an adaptor that will fit the threaded end on your tube on one end and the Yamaha and Yamaha made Mariners LU fill hole on the other.

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, but I don't recall any West Marine outlets in my area of NJ. Is it a chain - your profile doesn't say where you live, which may be where the West Marine is.

I'll take the plug along and the pump I have and stop by a auto parts to see if they have an adapter, both diameter and thread as the Yamaha must be metric - From the little I have learned there are only a few engines that don't meet USA standard drain hole size, even other Japanese engines.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

See westmarine.com

Probably marine outlets in your area have the same adaptor. Yes, it is metric.

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I stopped by Walmart this morning, they had a Attwood Brand (Walmart brand?) package that looked a twin of the Shoreline brand at Amazon, at at a little less money, $6.98. I cut just the metal adapter out and used it on my existing pump, saving the new pump for a backup.

I was surprised how little oil it too to fill (used Lubmatic) - no more than 4 oz. I have no recall of what my Evinrude or the prior Johnson took, likely the same as the Yamaha has a similar shape, but maybe shorter lower unit. I filled until oil ran out the top hole, that is full.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for future reference I think they sell pumps with both OMC and Yamaha fittings. There is nothing better than having a pump that fits securely on both the bottle and the motor. I've used the kind that dips in the oil bottle and the kind you hold the tip into the hole. Huge mess.
Yesterday I was changing mine (150 hp takes >a quart) and the metal screw-in tip broke off from the plastic attachment (typical) and since I couldn't go get another, I did what I could stuffing it in the hole. By the time I was finished you could name my boat Valdez.
And then the lower screw wouldn't screw in--musta got cross threaded. Now I'm really screwed.

Hints: use disposable rubber (surgical) gloves. Lots of them. Lay a pizza box down under the motor. Keep a roll of paper towels handy.