Single side patch in aluminum hull question

mikeg1005

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2013 Lund Predator that has some minor hull problems that I wanted to address before they get any worse that I needed some input from experts on.

There are two cracks in the outer hull plate that stem between multiple rivets. They are not leaking so it leads me to believe the inner plate is in good shape. I was planning to rivet a patch over these so they don't continue to crack and to have increased support. The plan would be to drill out the impacted rivets, drill out the corners of the crack, place a patch over all of it and re-rivet those locations plus additional ones to keep the patch in place. The patch would be only from one side due to the patch having to span structural supports on the inside of the hull. The patch would have 3M 5200 on it to make sure its watertight to prevent corrosion between the patch and the hull. Any issues with this approach? Any recommendation on what type of aluminum/thickness to use for this?

The other situation I have is in a few places there are roughly 1-2" diameter pieces of outer hull missing due to impacts (circular crack, it separated/fell away from the inner hull). These are not leaking so I would do a similar patch to the one above, covering the hole and going past it to reinforce from any future pieces from breaking off and to protect the exposed inner hull.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Hard to answer yer questions without pictures,.....

Usually, when tinboats get that bad, it's time for the scrap heap,.....

If you want to try it, use patches of the same thickness as the base material,....