Simrad NSE12 versus Lowrance HDS-10

SmokinBarrel

Seaman Apprentice
Would it be worth it to get the Simrad unit? Would the Simrad be over kill for fishing 10 - 60 ft of water 80% of the time?

The reason I ask is that I have an HDS-10, but maybe able to get the Simrad after I've replaced my Lowrance twice. I am not convinced the HDS-10 units are of good quality.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Simrad NSE12 versus Lowrance HDS-10

You?re not alone. A lot of guys are finding out that the HDS is not living up to all the hype.

The NSE12 is a MFD. You would need to buy a sounder module and transducer to go with it. The BSM-2 module along with a high quality Broadband transducer would provide excellent performance. The downside is that your pushing at $6K when all is said and done to replace a $2K unit.

If I was in your position, I'd keep the HDs for a plotter/ FF backup, and install a Furuno FCV 585 with a Airmar M260 or B160 transducer and spend the remaining $3.5K on tackle.

No, it's not overkill to use a good unit in "shallow" water. I want the best possible sensitivity at any and all depths.

SmokinBarrel

Seaman Apprentice

On the Furuno's I don't see the screen resolution mentioned anywhere?

SmokinBarrel

Seaman Apprentice

Well, before I pull the trigger and purchase the NSE12, I decided to run by and do some measurements on the boat. Guess what? The unit will barely fit, but I won't have room to tilt the unit. I could get a smaller steering wheel (12" if they're available?). That way I can see the bottom of the fish finder. Or, I could mod the dash, but I hate to do that. It would require cutting the instrument panel to the right. All I need is 3/4" where the instrument panel is located!! Unbelievable!! Anyone want to buy a Hewescraft!

Here are some pictures of my dilemma.

As you can see, the top of the steering wheel will be covering the bottom of the fish finder. So, I'll have to constantly peek over the top of the steering wheel. If I raise the unit, it will hit the glass (windshield). At most, I could probably raise the fishfinder about 1".

So, I need to extend the steering wheel out, and/or go to a smaller diameter steering wheel. A tilt steering wheel wouldn't give me much extra. Although, I will confirm that tomorrow.

Attachments

• Sim3.JPG
    Sim3.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sim2.JPG
    Sim2.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Sim7.JPG
    Sim7.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sim9.JPG
    Sim9.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 0

SmokinBarrel

Seaman Apprentice

What I really need to know is Measurement "A"? Can anyone provide that measurement?

Also considering mod-ing the gauge panel, and that would really help. My guess about 2 hours work for a welder, after I make the cut out. And then repaint. Possibly make a new gauge panel.

Attachments

• Sim Side View.JPG
    Sim Side View.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sim Cut Out.JPG
    Sim Cut Out.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 0