Side Planer Boards?

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody have any experience in using planer boards for trolling for trout?

I see that there are "inline" boards that you attach to your fishing rod and either clips to your main line and you fight the fish until you are able to reach the board and unclip it or it slides down your line to a stop and you fight both the board and the fish.

The other type of planer board has it's own dedicated rod and a release probably similar to a downrigger release. When you get a hook up, the line releases from the planer board and you fight the fish by itself.

I'll be using this setup about 3-5 times a year.
Any recommendations or input would be appreciated

Scott

rndn

Commander
Re: Side Planer Boards?

Stick with the regular planing board system, not the one that attaches to your line. If you get a big salmon or trout you will have added stress to your line with the inline system and makes it harder to bring the big fish into the boat.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply rndn.

These devices don't seem to utilized by fishermen out this way but they seem like they can make a difference under certain conditions.

Do you know if you can use one of those "inline" planer boards on a separate rod using it as a regular board?
I'll be running only one line off of it. The reason I'm asking this is because I may not to able use non-inline boards all the time.

Thanks, Scott

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just did a search on this forum and found mucho info on planer boards.
Thanks, I think I have enough info for now.

Scott :redface: