Should these be hooked up??

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1995 5.7L Merc

Hi all..Doing a major restore on my boats deck and stringers right now..I'm just about done, and I fired her up today, to get ready for the season coming up. The engine ran very well before I winterized it for the winter. I wish it would start better after its good and hot though, always need to throttle it and crank it a few times. Any ideas on that??

Also, I took a few pictures today and I was trying to clean the dust and crap off the motor from all the work I've been doing. I noticed that on the distributor there is a brass L fitting that doesn't have anything hooked up to it...Should it?? Looks like a vacuum fitting, but not sure Also, there is a Purple wire that isn't connected anywhere, its on the starboard side of the carb...wondering if anybody could ID it...Thanks for the help guys.

Here is the brass fitting:
Seatbase004.jpg

Here is the Purple Wire:
Seatbase006.jpg

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Should these be hooked up??

1. can you please resize your pictures to 640x480, yours are to dang big. Thanks.

2. On the distro cap, that's just cap vent, nothing to hook up to it

3. pic 3 i believe that wire is supposed to go to your electric choke

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The "L" fittimg is the vent, nothing goes to it, the wire may be for a electric choke setup.

MTribe08

1. can you please resize your pictures to 640x480, yours are to dang big. Thanks.

2. On the distro cap, that's just cap vent, nothing to hook up to it

3. pic 3 i believe that wire is supposed to go to your electric choke

Sorry Jason..I'm resizing them through photobucket..the same way I always do..and this is whats coming up.

Thanks for the explanation on the pics however..I don't have an electric choke, so that makes sense.

One other question..my boat is a bit of a booger when it comes to hot starts...After I get her good and warmed up, and stop the engine..it won't just fire off when I turn the key..I always have to crank it a few times and pump the gas to get her going...Any ideas? Alpheus mentioned that the Well Plugs are probably the culprit..seems like its flooding when I shut it down.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

could be well plugs, what carb are we talking about here? Typically when they go bad cold starts, after the boat has been sitting a while, are futile becaue there is no fuel in the bowl and you have to crank and crank the motor to get fuel up to the carb.

Take it for a good hot run with the engine cover off and the flame arrestor off. Park it someplace, and either have somebody shut the boat down for you or you do it quickly then run back to the carb and look down the throat of it. Is it clean and sorta dry or is fuel dripping/pooling on top of the throttle blades?

MTribe08

could be well plugs, what carb are we talking about here? Typically when they go bad cold starts, after the boat has been sitting a while, are futile becaue there is no fuel in the bowl and you have to crank and crank the motor to get fuel up to the carb.

Take it for a good hot run with the engine cover off and the flame arrestor off. Park it someplace, and either have somebody shut the boat down for you or you do it quickly then run back to the carb and look down the throat of it. Is it clean and sorta dry or is fuel dripping/pooling on top of the throttle blades?

Sorry..Jason...I was all fouled up. I don't know why I assumed I had the Rochester Q-Jet..but I don't

I have the weber/edelbrock style.