Should I Worry About My Block Being Cracked???!!

snoop03

Cadet
I have a 2008 Mercruiser V6 190 HP Engine. I was setting up to change my oil and put the muffs on the outdrive and turned the water on. I started the engine and water started pouring out the engine and i heard a metal noise hit the bottom of my boat. I looked and found a round plug popped out. Turned water and engine off found where it went and tapped it back in. I restarted everything ran engine did what i had to do and all was good. Well i called my dealer and he told me it was a freeze plug that had popped out because my block froze. WHAT???!!! I said. I thought i drained everything but found that my lil blue drain plug on that side was clogged a lil stuck wire in and all the water came pouring out. So i did accidentally leave it full of water. They told me i need to change the freeze plug but the problem is i cannot get it out it is in there very tight and in a hard to get to spot. My question is do i need to worry about anything r just hit the water without a worry. No water in oil and no water leaking could i have cracks? but i have only ran engine about 20 minutes since then.What do i do please help!! Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Should I Worry About My Block Being Cracked???!!

Howdy,

Well, yes your block probably did "freeze".

You popped a CORE plug out. People call them freeze plugs because they frequently pop out when the water in the block freezes.

You need to replace the plug and check the block for cracks either visually, which won't always find all the cracks, or by pressure checking which will answer the question once and for all.

It may have cracked.

If you cannot get to the hole where the plug goes, you may have to remove an engine mount to do it.

If you do that, the engine will HAVE to be re-aligned.

Sorry about that....

Rick

snoop03

Cadet

So the plug only being about 1 1/2 years old needs to be replaced because it popped out it went in very tight when i put it in. How do i pressure check the engine can i do this myself?

snoop03

Cadet

also if it was cracked wouldnt there be water leaking some where? It is dry when running.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Unless its leaking internally into the oil. Unfortuantely, you may not know for sure until it reached a nice warm operating temperature while running the boat on the water under load. You could also pressure test just to make sure.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So the plug only being about 1 1/2 years old needs to be replaced because it popped out it went in very tight when i put it in. How do i pressure check the engine can i do this myself?

Those "plugs" should NEVER "pop" out.

If you want to pressure check your engine, Have a look Here.

snoop03

Cadet

right they should not but im saying the plug is basically brand new it only has 60 hours on it i was wondering if it is ok that i put it back in because i was gunna try to replace it but i cant really get to it that good so i was wondering if it would be good to just leave it alone because it seems tight

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Core plugs are not all that easy to push in.

They fit pretty tight. If you are going to put it back in, get a new (brass) one and install it. I used a deep socket that *just* fit in theplug and tapped it in with a large mallet.

It appears that you might not be able to swing a mallet or use a large deep socket or similar to push it in.

If you can get a pry bar against the socket or other driving tool you might be able to put it in that way........

It might just be easier to get a temp rubber type plug and use it to for pressure checking.

Here's a good description on how to change a core plug...........Pretty easy on the engine they show here:rolleyes: Note the rubber one in the last picture.....

http://www.automedia.com/Replacing_a_Freeze_Plug/ccr20070401fp/1

snoop03

Cadet

well i already installed the old one that is what im wondering cuz i cant get it out it is very tight so im thinking it will be ok??

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you got it back in and it's in tight, you can pressure check your block now.

It should hold 10-15psi with no leaks or hissing.

You can pressure check using the instructions above.....

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

well i already installed the old one that is what im wondering cuz i cant get it out it is very tight so im thinking it will be ok??

It may seem OK on the trailer, running on muffs, but it may be very different running hot under load. As the block heats up and expands it may loosen the plug.

If the old one comes loose while you're on the water, it will prevent you from running the engine. If the plug is below the waterline it can flood your bilge and sink your boat.

The part is inexpensive. It may be difficult to replace but it's easier than raising a sunken boat. I suggest using a flat-blade screwdriver or punch and pushing in one side of the plug; this should cause it to pivot out the opposite side so you can grab it and pull it out.

snoop03

Cadet

ok what type of tool do u use to pressure it ? and once that is done and it is not cracked is that freeze plug good to go also

Bondo

Staff member

I said. I thought i drained everything but found that my lil blue drain plug on that side was clogged a lil stuck wire in and all the water came pouring out. So i did accidentally leave it full of water.

Ayuh,... Which is Why We Harp,+ harp about Pokin' a wire or nail, or screw into the drains, here at iboats...
You left 1/2 of your motor full of water....
The Coreplugs are resistence fit into the block, they bend when installed,+ really shouldn't be Reused...
The choice is Your's...
To pressure test it, there's basically 2 ways,...
1 is to isolate the block's cooling passages,+ add about 15psi of Air, then see if it leaks off...
Frozen Split blocks usually hold No air,+ you can Hear the leak...
Or,...
The 2nd method is to Splash the boat,+ Run it....
Keep an eye on the Oil,... If the level rises, or the color gets milky,...
You've got Bigger Problems...

snoop03

Cadet

is there a certain tool i need to pressure test it
?

Bondo

Staff member

is there a certain tool i need to pressure test it
?

Ayuh,... It takes a collection of Tools... Search the Adults Only section of this forum,..
I believe there's a write-up/ explanation in there....

snoop03

Cadet

alright i went back and look at my boat and i was able to find another way to get to that freeze plug and knock it out now i just have to find a replacement and pressure test it. I hope the odds are in my favor with that i dont know what the chances of it being cracked r since the freeze plug popped out to give it relief.

Bondo

Staff member

I hope the odds are in my favor

Ayuh,... It pretty much depends on How cold it got,+ How quickly, for How long....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to find brass core plugs, not steel, or they will rust away on you. Many auto parts stores carry the brass plugs, just make sure you get the right ones.

snoop03

Cadet

ok i have the right size freeze plug and i can tell my old one is bent a little but the new one i got from napa is about an1/8 inch shorter on the walls of it. Is that ok r should i get one from mercury r maybe from my chevy dealer since it is a chevy block?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

ok i have the right size freeze plug and i can tell my old one is bent a little but the new one i got from napa is about an1/8 inch shorter on the walls of it. Is that ok r should i get one from mercury r maybe from my chevy dealer since it is a chevy block?

Part number from Merc is 19-34270...