Should I Splashdown withThis bad Gelcoat on the Bow??

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
OK, so I have been concentrating on the Sea Gem I drive train I finally finished it, well almost. Today I decided to take some time to make her more presentable. I got out my buffing wheel and my rubbing compound and started polishing her up. When I got to the bow I found some real bad hits on the gelcoat. Here is some pics

IMG00610.jpg

IMG00609.jpg

IMG00606.jpg

My question is: do I really need to fix this before I test the boat?? Its above the water line, will the salt water spray screw up the fiberglass? Yes I intend on doing the repair, but it has been so long working on her I just want to get her out in the water, fishing with my kids etc.... I can keep working on her in my down time.

If it will get screwed up I WILL fix it before hand, I guess one of those gelcoat repair kits???????

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should I Splashdown withThis bad Gelcoat on the Bow??

I had some gelcoat damage on my keel as well, not quite that bad though. I splashed mine anyway just a few days ago. I feel ya on just wanting to get it wet. Could just hit it with some spray paint or something, probably better than nothing. Good luck with your splash.:)

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Two things:

1) Did you really not notice those until you got near them with the buffer? :eek: :D

2) I would not put the boat in the water without repairing those. They're through to the mat, my man.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

those look pretty deep. I would fix before i splash down. Just my 2 cents though.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

If in doubt you could slather some marine tex or JB weld on it and go. When you get ready to fix it properly you can grind the marine tex or JB weld out and do the repair properly. Heck, being above waterline you could probably clean around the damage areas and just put some packaging tape on the damaged areas to keep water off the exposed mat.

edit: forgot to mention that I would just splash it the way it is. You will be doing some grinding and feather-edging when you repair it correctly anyway.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I agree with 109 ..

Splash it..have fun..fix when the seasons over.

Like 109 said..your going to have to grind out the bad glass when you do your repairs ( the good glass will still be good glass when you get around to repairing ).

YD.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks All,

They say haste makes waste,
Yep I only noticed them now when I was buffing it out, I had looked at the overall,
1) transom + Good
2) Deck = good
Stringers = Good
3) toilet, stove, sink =Good
4) Engine+ drive = BAD CHANGE, fix do whatever it takes ;)

Yes I did notice it was down to the Mat that's what worried me :(

I have spent so much time on this boat my wife is ready to kill me :eek: she told me a little while ago that she thought I was going out this weekend being it was running. I am trying not to disappoint her LOL.

If I have to spend the money I will If water getting into the glass will mess things up though I will do some Poly and use one of those gelcoat repair kits on it.just don't know how close I can get to the original color
I

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can't you just throw on some 5 minute epoxy for the time being. That would be quick, painless, and pretty easy.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Can't you just throw on some 5 minute epoxy for the time being. That would be quick, painless, and pretty easy.

Thank you thank you thank you,

I have 4200 & 5200 readily available you guys think that would work for now? I could just use it like body filler

I just want to make sure all is well before I start getting into cosmetic repairs. With this Boat it seems like every time I get close, I see something else that kicks me in the head.
Finish the engine, the crank it scraping the pan
Pull it back out fix it put it back in, Burn out the starter
Replace the starter, drop a wrench, toast that Alternator
Replace the Alternator
ALL runs great, Polish for splashdown and find this :(

I still have work to do on her, But I want to start enjoying her some too. My daughter tells me she wants to have her birthday on the boat , she will be 5 in august :) .

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Like we said..

You really dont NEED to do anything..the water will not affect the damaged glass like you think.. Its damaged..you will need to grind and glass ( not fill with fillers ) for a correct repair.

Forget your kits and stuff for now.

Mebbe call your local dealer for the right gel or find someone who can order from Spectrum or other 2nd hand gel dealers. Get all your materials together..then when your ready to do the repairs your set.

If for peace of mind ..then go ahead and brush some 5 min epoxy over the glass.. ( get at the hardware store ).

YD.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Like we said..

You really dont NEED to do anything..the water will not affect the damaged glass like you think.. Its damaged..you will need to grind and glass ( not fill with fillers ) for a correct repair.

Forget your kits and stuff for now.

Mebbe call your local dealer for the right gel or find someone who can order from Spectrum or other 2nd hand gel dealers. Get all your materials together..then when your ready to do the repairs your set.

If for peace of mind ..then go ahead and brush some 5 min epoxy over the glass.. ( get at the hardware store ).

YD.

Thanks,
If nothing will get hurt I will just leave her be and let her rip :):D
My Pal Steve just dropped off my alignment tool, tomorrow I re-check the engine alignment and install the drive WOOHOO, then she is ready to run :D

I figure I will grind her out and do a proper repair during the weekdays . Once it is out and running it gives me a little more reason, initiative etc... Wifey won't be able to say I'm just playing with a FOREVER PROJECT! I sometimes get accused of massaging things to death lol.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

unless some go all the way through the hull do just like YD said, go boating and have fun. No damage will be done by using it.

redfury

Commander

As long as you don't follow the adage of "a temporary fix is a permanent repair", then go splash the boat and don't forget to bring your video camera! :D

Bifflefan

Commander

If your worried about it, slap some paint, nail polish, any kind of a sealer on it for now then splash away.
You have to grind it out anyway when you go to fix it so any temp repairs will go way then anyway.