Should I replace my waterpump on my 85HP Force

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1987 85HP Force engine. I take exceptional care of the motor and have had very few problems over the years.<br /><br />I run my boat a few times a week and never hit sandbars or mudddy (silt filled) water.<br /><br />Should I have my waterpump replaced? It it pumping great water and I never overheat.<br /><br />The last time I had it done was in late 1999. Its going on almost 3 years.<br /><br />Also, I have never dropped the lower unit on my rig. I had the pump replaced by a local marine shop.<br /><br />I am pretty mechanically inclined and can figure stuff out, but am a little skeptical about messy with the lower unit. I know its basically 6 bolts, an allen wrench nut and disconnecting the linkage pin.<br /><br />Is this to advanced for me and do I need to replace?<br /><br />Thanks

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should I replace my waterpump on my 85HP Force

You will get different opinions on this but....<br />I change mine once a year. They have a tendancy to cease to function when you least expect it. Gives you the opportunity to relube and check just to see how things look.<br />An impellor is not expensive and relatively simple to replace with a "manual" for reference.<br />Take your time and go for it.

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Should I replace my waterpump on my 85HP Force

I second that. Three years is a good life span for a impeller. They all look good right before they fail. First time might take you a few hours but after that you will be able to do it in less than an hour.Good Luck :)