Should I pursue this defect?

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I went to replace an impeller on my kicker, I hardly ever use it.
Bought it brand new in 2009.
I found water in the lower unit from 3 or the four stud bolts that hold the impeller housing unto the lower unit, this is where the water got in.
I bought all the new parts, etc, and doing a dry run to see if I had all I needed, which I didn't, I lost a couple shims off the drive shaft, my bad.....
I noticed another part, on the drawings I was working from, I didn't have. I don't even recall removing this part, it was the water tube guide assembly.
I went and shined a light up into the kicker housing, thinking it might be up in there, and lo and behold, you can tell it was never installed. The female threads that you assembly and tighten it to have never seen male threads!
Now I think I found out the possible reason these bolts sheared, from vibration?

OR.....

Should I just move on, fix it, and figger it was a good learning experience?

Cost is minimal, the frustration trying to deal with proving this on, an out of warranty motor, would be a real hurdle, I am thinking......

Note: I really like the product, I have bought other stuff they make, and have always felt good about their goods.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think you are asking motor specific questions and the thread should be in another section. What motor is it?

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes and no......

I was hoping to get a general answer about warranties, etc.....not repair of.

I thought I might ask my fellow boaters for just a general opine.

If I can't here, then do what you must.

I bought the parts through a link here, but maybe I should think about going elsewhere for my boating conversations, etc.

This domain is getting a wee bit too much to visit.

Thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
???

I think Don was asking so you could get better help by asking in the Merc forum if its a Merc motor, or whatever...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yes and no......

I was hoping to get a general answer about warranties, etc.....not repair of.

I thought I might ask my fellow boaters for just a general opine.

If I can't here, then do what you must.

I bought the parts through a link here, but maybe I should think about going elsewhere for my boating conversations, etc.

This domain is getting a wee bit too much to visit.

Thanks.

Don't get your dander up when asked for clarification. We are trying to help you.

I didn't see a warranty question in your post. Also the reason I asked is this is about an outboard, so this section isn't really the right place.

???

I think Don was asking so you could get better help by asking in the Merc forum if its a Merc motor, or whatever...

Exactly!

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I think I would just move on and chock it up to a learning experience.