Should I pay to have my driveshaft welded together?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Should I pay to have my driveshaft welded together?

I have a shaft I removed from a jet pump, they modified the original shaft by milling an enlarged flat on the other end.

What was the original end look like, this one may be recoverable.

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice

I was able to locate a used driveshaft at Glen's Boat Repair for 50 dollars.

He says that the gearcase keeps coming out of gear but the driveshaft should still be good.

What do you guys think? ?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

As long as he think's should be, and is, go for it

jl_photo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

luckily when a motor blows up or dies the drive shaft is usually ok. i would look for a used one.

take the old shaft for comparison that part may change a lot from year to year.

i am a pretty good welder and my best friend is a welding engineer. he always frowns on this kind of welding repair. sounds like a good way to get stranded.

flywheel nuts should be removed with an impact wrench. replaced with a torque wrench to factory torque specs.

look on craigslist.org for a donor motor.

http://epc.brp.com

http://epc.brp.com/Default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e

you can find a parts diagram with part numbers to compare parts on different motors. many different years and horsepowers share parts.

measure from the top of transom to lower unit seam to know shaft length

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Replace the shaft.
Yep...weld it and replace within an hour (more like a minute)...it will snap again..hardened weak point..super stress riser..(Journryman Machinist)

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice

The driveshaft looked 100% better than my old one.

He gave me the whole gearcase too. I did a pressure test on it and it checked out ok; so, I put the whole thing on the motor.

I did swap impellers because it was dry-rotted.

Now I have two questions, because I don't want anything to go wrong after ALL of the work I've done:

1. I started the motor up (at the lake) and all of the exhaust was coming out of the above waterline holes. Does the exhaust only come out of the propeller when there is sufficient back pressure?

2. How will I know if my impeller is working? Will water exit the motor above the waterline anywhere to let me know?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the exhaust ports above the water line are relief ports that are used when idling in the water, and there is not enough pressure to push it out the prop.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dave,

I found the solution to your problem. On www.craigslist.com "Chicago" there is an old Bayliner with a 1970 115hp Evinrude on it for $200. Check it out, there may be a way of getting what you need off that motor.